Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Jeacom25b » Wed May 16, 2018 3:13 pm

Jeacom25b

Subject title: Pls, critic my character.

Its the first time I do a digital painting, generally I stop at a raw line drawing with solid colors.
And as you can see, there is a lot of fuzzy lines I left, I dont know if its my "Style" or if its really just lazyness.

My idea was to make she look strong but "normal", even holding a massive weapon.

Postby fi_le » Sat May 19, 2018 7:07 am

fi_le

We are on te Sycra.net forum here, so generally you'll get very few critiques if you do something for the first time. Do four or five more of these and see what you can fix yourself, it's gonna be a whole lot!
If you want to hear some critiques after that, the situation will be much better.
Good luck!

Postby Plumbum » Sat May 19, 2018 9:06 am

Plumbum

Pretty much what fi_le said. There is so much you can find out by yourself, and honestly, you will learn more from it. I have never asked for critiques because I have never felt stuck. Yet you can see how I have obviously improved.

One thing I will say is that you have plenty of structural problems and you would do well studying them before starting painting. Specifically, you have problems with the torso, in the face/hair and with the clothing.

Please do tell if you are in need of any source of tutorials regards those areas. I have a few.

Good luck!
We have DID (the thing Sycra has).

Quick summary of forum writers:
Artist: she is mainly the one who draws.
Writer: he is usually the one who writes on the forum.
Lawyer: he studies everything, honestly.
Real names are private.

Sketchbook: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14540

Postby Jeacom25b » Sat May 19, 2018 8:47 pm

Jeacom25b

Plumbum wrote:Pretty much what fi_le said. There is so much you can find out by yourself, and honestly, you will learn more from it. I have never asked for critiques because I have never felt stuck. Yet you can see how I have obviously improved.

One thing I will say is that you have plenty of structural problems and you would do well studying them before starting painting. Specifically, you have problems with the torso, in the face/hair and with the clothing.

Please do tell if you are in need of any source of tutorials regards those areas. I have a few.

Good luck!

Yeah, actually for me the brute sketch already look way better than the final drawing besides one arm being bigger, I couldn't figure out why I always loose track of the shapes while trying to fix those problems.
I'm afraid I reached a local maximun skill and will not get better than that. Seems like there is no way to find a insight of what I am doing wrong, maybe you're right, I must solve it myself, or giveup.

Postby Plumbum » Sat May 19, 2018 10:29 pm

Plumbum

I highly doubt you have reached your maximun skill. There is no reason to give up, don't despair! If that is truly how you feel I will try to help you get back on the right path.

Looking at your sketch, your structural problems become more apparent. The reason your painting looks like it does is due to your drawing needing some work. I would highly recommend looking at proko's free videos on how to draw or his premium courses if that is in line with your budget. You will have to draw with realistic body proportions but that is how you get better at your art style as well.

How to draw the head: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8D190B7C97

Facial features: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... yUo7pC13GQ

A book Andrew Loomis made a book called something like how to draw heads and hands. That one should also be good.

For figure drawing I would recommend looking at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Y9Fbw_d2ws It gives you a really good understanding of 3D form on the human body. You already (from the boots you drew) got a decent sense of 3D, so I doubt you will have too many problems with getting started. After you have studied that I would recommend you looking into anatomy. But even without studying anatomy, your drawings should still improve.

Real names are private.

Postby Jeacom25b » Sat May 19, 2018 11:48 pm

Jeacom25b

Sorry, I dont have the terminology, I suppose you mean a general 3D representation when you say structure.

I have no problems with imagining shapes in 3 dimensions but when it comes to project them in a flat surface...
painful.

I already have this book from andrew loomis, thats great one.
And I will look into that proko course everyone talks about, must be good if is so popular

Postby Plumbum » Sun May 20, 2018 8:47 am

Plumbum

By structure I don't mean 3D, I mean that your construction of the body is wrong. I actually think the 3D part of your boots was the best part of your drawing. It really looked good! :D

I know how you feel regarding 3D on the human body. I honestly struggled a lot with Andrew Loomis' books. I was only recommending him since other people have great things to say about him.

Proko made me go from this: Image
To this: Image

I find it much easier to understand 3D with proko, because proko goes through everything much slower than Loomis and he shows you how to draw it as well. There is probably more to it than that, though.

Also: consider joining the sketch-book forums, if you have time. We would love to see your improvement.

Real names are private.

Postby Jeacom25b » Sun May 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Jeacom25b

Plumbum wrote:By structure I don't mean 3D, I mean that your construction of the body is wrong. I actually think the 3D part of your boots was the best part of your drawing. It really looked good! :D

I know how you feel regarding 3D on the human body. I honestly struggled a lot with Andrew Loomis' books. I was only recommending him since other people have great things to say about him.
I find it much easier to understand 3D with proko, because proko goes through everything much slower than Loomis and he shows you how to draw it as well. There is probably more to it than that, though.

Also: consider joining the sketch-book forums, if you have time. We would love to see your improvement.

Well, if you're talking about the huge feet compared to the body... it was kinda intended, maybe wasn't a good idea but was the only way I thought would make she holding a giant piece of metal in her shoulder without falling look plausible.
Also where are those sketch-book forums? I didn't see anything around this forum, tere is a link?

Postby Plumbum » Sun May 20, 2018 3:38 pm

Plumbum

Here is the sketch part of the forum viewforum.php?f=3

I think you succeeded with having big feet, honestly. I like that you are thinking about the physics of the design, not a lot of people do that. It makes me even more curious of what you will do in the future! ;)

Real names are private.

Return to Critique This!