Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby Rotten Muffin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:19 pm

Rotten Muffin

Subject title: Tried to diversify my style, critique my overall piece?

Hey everyone so I, a bit bored with my usual "style", I tried to mix things up exploring random photoshop brushes until I found a few that I liked. So I got out of my confort zone and usual brushes to try doing this. What do you think?

Here's a version with a higher resolution, I'll upload an even higher one when I get home

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=209995933108010&set=a.190033861770884.1073741829.100022928131194&type=3&theater

EDIT: Hiher res:

https://rotten-muffin.deviantart.com/ar ... -740124458
blue jazz 1000.jpg
Last edited by Rotten Muffin on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Mandilor » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:13 am

Mandilor

Looks good. I bet if you spent more time on it you could get a better rendering if that's what you want but as is I can see what you're going for. I feel like two easy fixes would make a big difference though. First I feel like the background is begging for some sort of graphical element. Maybe some texture or splatter or audio wave distortion. Just some thing to give it some grip. Second I feel like the value groups could be pushed just a bit more. So lighter lights and darker darks. Right now it's looking just a bit too mid tone.

Another though is to mix up you saturation a bit more.. Right now everything is pretty consistently saturated throughout, just a thought.

Here is a very quick paint. Hope it helps

Postby Alpacky » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:28 am

Alpacky

I would actually disagree I think the dark blue background lines cheapen it
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby Mandilor » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Mandilor

Alpacky wrote:I would actually disagree I think the dark blue background lines cheapen it
I mean the point wasn't to add lines but rather something that puts something on the blank parts of the canvas to help with the composition. What do you mean by "cheapens it", and how does it do that?

Postby Josephcow » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:44 am

Josephcow

Nice painting! Something about the proportions struck me as off so i tried to figure out what it is. I think that the head is too big. Right now the guitar feels small, like a guitar hero guitar. From looking at reference I notice an electric guitar usually appears bigger than that on the body. Part of it also is the legs are big. It almost feels like the pants are pasted from a different picture, or a photo even. I apologize if that isn't the case.

A technique I picked up from Istebrak to check the size of a body part: copy it, and then erase it and transform it to the right size from the opposite direction. So make the head too small, and then scale it up. i can almost guarantee that you will stop it at a different size even if it looks right to you now. Sometimes errors like this are easy to make if we base one part of the drawing on another part which isn't correct.

Regarding the background, maybe the problem is that there is too much space, and you could crop it in tighter.
blue%20jazz%2201000.jpg

Postby Rotten Muffin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Rotten Muffin

Mandilor wrote:Looks good. I bet if you spent more time on it you could get a better rendering if that's what you want but as is I can see what you're going for. I feel like two easy fixes would make a big difference though. First I feel like the background is begging for some sort of graphical element. Maybe some texture or splatter or audio wave distortion. Just some thing to give it some grip. Second I feel like the value groups could be pushed just a bit more. So lighter lights and darker darks. Right now it's looking just a bit too mid tone.

Another though is to mix up you saturation a bit more.. Right now everything is pretty consistently saturated throughout, just a thought.

Here is a very quick paint. Hope it helps

I agree, the background looks a bit empty, but I ended up fixing it by cropping the image rather than touching the background, I like the contrast as is

Postby Rotten Muffin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Rotten Muffin

Josephcow wrote:Nice painting! Something about the proportions struck me as off so i tried to figure out what it is. I think that the head is too big. Right now the guitar feels small, like a guitar hero guitar. From looking at reference I notice an electric guitar usually appears bigger than that on the body. Part of it also is the legs are big. It almost feels like the pants are pasted from a different picture, or a photo even. I apologize if that isn't the case.

A technique I picked up from Istebrak to check the size of a body part: copy it, and then erase it and transform it to the right size from the opposite direction. So make the head too small, and then scale it up. i can almost guarantee that you will stop it at a different size even if it looks right to you now. Sometimes errors like this are easy to make if we base one part of the drawing on another part which isn't correct.

Regarding the background, maybe the problem is that there is too much space, and you could crop it in tighter.

Thanks for the tip. The head is definitely a bit big, I think I can just liquify it down a bit. As for the pants, I like it how it is, because the guy is a bit... big, and I wanted to express that.

Anyway thanks!

Return to Critique This!