Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby mewtiful » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:04 am

mewtiful

Subject title: Need Critique for this forest painting

Hello
I'd tried something new for this painting by splitting it into separate layers for the background, midground, and foreground. Usually I put everything on one layer.
How is it looking? I am trying to get better at cleanliness and well-defined edges this year.

Postby mewtiful » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:34 am

mewtiful

updated version

Postby Spider » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Spider

I think you made a good call with adding more space around the characters, but I think you should add a tiny bit of lighting to some of the foreground objects, otherwise the section to the left feels like it blends together. Don't go overboard with lighting, just a few speck of light or something like that so we can tell it's there.

Also, I think you could really add to the piece by adding some warmer colors. Right now the colors are pretty cool and has a lot of purples and greens and greys, maybe adding a little bit of yellow for the sunlight would add a warmer, more adventure-y feel.

The background is really nicely painting btw! :D

Postby Spider » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:42 pm

Spider

Oh shoot just realized you didn't add more space you just made the foreground darker.
Ah the power of shading lol

Postby Mandilor » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:04 am

Mandilor

Looks pretty cool. The main advise I'd give you is add some warm colors to compliment the cool green you have in there. Having just plain white every where makes everything dull. Try to avoid using white to brighten things, reserve using it when for light sources.

Here is a quick paint over to illustrate what I'm talking about. I hope it helps.

Return to Critique This!