Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby dtmw » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:20 pm

dtmw

Subject title: any critique please

Postby Mandilor » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Mandilor

The first thing I noticed were the edges. You have a lot of soft edges that comes from a lot of airbrushing. Airbrushing is good and all but you usually want to go back in afterwards and sharpen the edges that need sharpening. After that I noticed that the ellipse of things are all off. So that's the turtle neck, the brim of the hat, the ribbon on the hat. Practice drawing the full ellipse, the unseen edge and all. Then go in and only paint the part we see. Also the brim of the hat is lop sided. One side is bigger than the other. I'm unsure if tha'ts on purpose and that's the style of the hat but it isn't working, mainly do to the ellipses that sell the form of it being off.

Then there is the lighting/form problems. From the nose we can tell the lighting is center/top but the hat is completely unaffected by this. It's completely flat.

Also in general skin is a bit more subtle and soft when it comes to value range. You can brighten your darks and time down your lights.

That eye looks dead. It's missing a pupil. Although it kind of works to give her some character but I think if that's what you're going to do something expressive with the mouth as well.

Your hair is suffering from to many tiny strokes everywhere. If you want go for the individual strand approach limit them to strategic areas,the transition from light to dark, the edge of the hair.

The eye looks like it's too high.

Sorry for the long list of everything. I'm still not awake yet so I just rambled but I hope you find some of this useful. I did a quick paint over to give a visual I hope that help you figure out what you want to work on next. Happy painting!

Return to Critique This!