Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby Bishop » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:36 am

Bishop

Subject title: Please Critique My Study

hey guys this is a study i did about a week ago, but forgot to post, here it is, i like this one but my eyes surely can't spot all of the mistake so please give me some Critique :) thank you

my study
back again 10.jpg

reference
1f8272d36f2916b45056f74027f2dac4.jpg

here is my deviantart page: http://nghia26.deviantart.com/
in case if you guys wanted to drop by and view my others study and maybe leave some critique aswell ;)

Postby ossifer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:29 am

ossifer

Hey! Your facial proportions are off- a good way to check that is to just overlay your ref over your drawing. The person in the the photo has a very thin mouth and nose, and smaller eyes than what you drew.
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG

Postby Bishop » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:25 am

Bishop

ossifer wrote:Hey! Your facial proportions are off- a good way to check that is to just overlay your ref over your drawing. The person in the the photo has a very thin mouth and nose, and smaller eyes than what you drew.

thanks for the feedback, i will work on that

Postby z4m97 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:00 pm

z4m97

soo..... i'd say there are a few problems:
1.- your likenes is a bit odd, the eyes (contrary to what the previous critique said) are not smaller in the original, they are just closer together and the proportions are a bit out of whack.

2.- the tones are innacurate, the inside of the eye sockets should be darker, and the top lip is almost entirely in one tone, your plane separation is way too contrasted in the study. the right cheek is darker than the left one, and you missed the right sideplane of the forehead. theres a ridge over the eyebrows that you also missed.

what i wonder is what is the purpose of the study? are you studying the light? or the face structure? perhaps how to get a likeness? or how to render skin? or brushwork?

i'd say that's the core of the issue, a study is not just a photo reproduction, is a way to improve, it needs a purpose, a direction o r a skill you wanna improve on.
anyway, dont get discoruaged, keep trying and learning, that's what studies are for :D

anyway, hope it helped and keep smilin' :D

Postby Bishop » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:55 am

Bishop

z4m97 wrote:soo..... i'd say there are a few problems:
1.- your likenes is a bit odd, the eyes (contrary to what the previous critique said) are not smaller in the original, they are just closer together and the proportions are a bit out of whack.

2.- the tones are innacurate, the inside of the eye sockets should be darker, and the top lip is almost entirely in one tone, your plane separation is way too contrasted in the study. the right cheek is darker than the left one, and you missed the right sideplane of the forehead. theres a ridge over the eyebrows that you also missed.

what i wonder is what is the purpose of the study? are you studying the light? or the face structure? perhaps how to get a likeness? or how to render skin? or brushwork?

i'd say that's the core of the issue, a study is not just a photo reproduction, is a way to improve, it needs a purpose, a direction o r a skill you wanna improve on.
anyway, dont get discoruaged, keep trying and learning, that's what studies are for :D

anyway, hope it helped and keep smilin' :D

i'll be honest, idk what the hell i'm doing, i am mostly a self taught with some traditional training but not a whole lot, i got to some of the basic head bust stuff, them life happens and my full time job get in the way, i'm thinking of quitting my job at the end of this month for a part time one so i can go to those classes, i'm currently have a small saving that could keep me going for quite awhile, but i'm not sure myself.

Postby z4m97 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:42 pm

z4m97

well that's a lovely plan, and if you carry it out, best of lucks to you! :D

i would say tho, that self taught is just as viable as school training, most people here are self taught, and it really just requires some work and asking yourself "what am i bad at?" and working on that, research it and practice it. :D

Return to Critique This!