Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby Spider » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:36 pm

Spider

Subject title: Help me finish this redhead painting

So I don't really know where to go from here, I like the painting so far but I wanna try to finish it.
crit .jpg

Postby Audiazif » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:37 am

Audiazif

I think you got the hard part out of the way, blocking in color. Now you get to do the fun part, detailing. You have everything basically laid out so now you only need to worry about where you want the viewer to look, by adding detail and more definition to those places. I would also consider adding just enough detail to the different materials(skin,shirt,shorts, and hair) to differentiate them because to me it looks like everything is rendered about the same making everything look like the same material.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Spider » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Spider

Audiazif wrote:I think you got the hard part out of the way, blocking in color. Now you get to do the fun part, detailing. You have everything basically laid out so now you only need to worry about where you want the viewer to look, by adding detail and more definition to those places. I would also consider adding just enough detail to the different materials(skin,shirt,shorts, and hair) to differentiate them because to me it looks like everything is rendered about the same making everything look like the same material.

haha that's funny cause I like blocking in the color more than I like detailing.
To be fair I almost never go too far into detail, at least not with a piece like this
first time for everything I guess lol ima try

Postby Audiazif » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:51 pm

Audiazif

Spider wrote:first time for everything I guess lol ima try

What worse that could happen? Make a copy of the file and go wild.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Gryephon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:23 am

Gryephon

Well, what was the point in painting the piece to begin with?

And what's not finished about it?
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Postby Spider » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:16 am

Spider

Gryephon wrote:Well, what was the point in painting the piece to begin with?

And what's not finished about it?

i painted it cause i was bored and i wanted to practice painting, i just don't usually get so far that I try detailing. As for what's not finished, it could probably generally be rendered out a bit further.

Postby snisetski » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:48 pm

snisetski

I think the right thigh is a little disproportionate (right in the painting)? Now add the details. Add a light source, increase the contrast, make it more interesting. Add accessories maybe? It's really good so far. I love her face!

Return to Critique This!