Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby alexander.cvetanov » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:13 pm

alexander.cvetanov

Subject title: can't do the profile view

I need some help with the profile view
main char.jpg

Postby Kavilen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:14 am

Kavilen

It would be good to use refrences and have an understanding of anatomy. Although this isn't a drawing that's meant to be super realistic, all types of art are based off of realism. Be sure to try and simplify the head to basic shapes such as a circle for the cranium.

In a relaxed position, the neck is at more of an angle on the head and shoulders. The jaw should end within the middle between the front and back. I suggest watching Proko https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yS6R2l8t8wo, he does an amazing job at showing how to apply the Andrew Loomis technique. Hope I helped a little (I'm not the best at explaining).

Postby Bynine » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:19 am

Bynine

uh oh - her head is caved in!

here's a random side-head profile from the internet. note how from a side view the head is somewhat circular - specifically the skull is shaped rather like a cube (jaw) attached to a sphere (cranium), often slightly longer than wide, though it varies of course. in your picture it seems more like a vertically stretched ellipse. there are other problems plaguing it that don't seem present in the other views - her neck is concave, her hair's shape is quite different, and her mouth and nose are much more pronounced. the advice i can offer you is to think of what you draw as 3-dimensional objects (spheres, cylinders, cubes) rather than a bunch of symbols, and then rotate them as you need to - your results will be more coherent.

Postby biosphere » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:55 am

biosphere

Bynine nailed it. From studying skulls, you'll see that the nose starts at the browline. The nose is the nasal bone + cartilage and it's just a wedge that's connected straight to the skull by the brow.
The eyeball is then nestled inside the socket which gives us a step back from the profile line to the eye, and we see it from the side as it is covered by the eyelids, so they close like a hatch.
Remember that the bottom lid doesn't really move that much, so the lower lid is mostly static and the upper lid covers most of the eye.

Imagine a watermelon with a slice cut out of it. Then plop a wedge in there by the keystone.

I'm also mentioning the neck behind the ear because it helps me organize the masses. If I base my neck off the back of the ear and down, I know where I can slim it down (the other side). But I won't be breaking the anatomy that much.

Sorry about the rushed drawings. I knocked this out before work this morning and wasn't sure if I should try to help or not. I'm usually not very good at explaining without getting some key things wrong, and I know I've insulted people in the past by commenting.
In my example I didn't follow your guidelines for the turnaround completely, but you can probably figure something out. I've seen your sketchbook, you're very competent so it's just a matter of applying yourself with some knowledge.

Stylizing something means exaggerating different features, but it quickly becomes uncanny if we skip the anatomy completely. Do some more sketches and see if you can't figure it out. I haven't gone far with stylizing things here, because I usually don't and I'm still working to get better at drawing in general before I tackle the really difficult stuff :D. But I hope the little things I did while keeping with anatomy still helps you.
Last edited by biosphere on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby alexander.cvetanov » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:42 am

alexander.cvetanov

Thanks a lot ,it was really useful.

Return to Critique This!