Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby ehlihr » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:48 am

ehlihr

Subject title: wannabe's sketch dump

really cool!! i like the deliberate structure, it gives a good context to how you think about your work.
17 year old self taught loser

Sketchbook
Website
Tumblr
Instagram

Postby wannabe » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:47 am

wannabe

Mandilor wrote:Would you like a critique on the anatomy for this one?

Certainly. Should even not ask.
Also thanks for your speedpaints, quite of use for me :) .
Spoiler: show

Elihaha wrote:really cool!! i like the deliberate structure, it gives a good context to how you think about your work.

Hope that is.
moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart
Would appreciate your views on what is not right with my work rather than what is right.
(The more honestly the better)

Postby wannabe » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:44 am

wannabe

Drowning in randomness, but still sketching.

How are you guys who draw constantly, tackling through and continue in spite of life's ups and downs?
Sometimes i am just losing that spark and returning to zero point, kind of starting all over again.
The reason as it seems to me (not the only one, but weighty) is an absence of a specific realistic (or not so) goal (like getting a job in the area (animation, painting, design etc), urge to create cewl stuff strongly depends on current pressing issues.
Though the process of drawing itself is meaningful to me (sometimes only just as a tool for venting, but whatever), i'm missing the part of making it something more significant to grow.

moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart
Would appreciate your views on what is not right with my work rather than what is right.

Postby Mandilor » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:24 pm

Mandilor

I just wanted to point out some simple anatomical things that I think are easily fixable and will help you know and see how the body works.

You have the right details for the clavicles but they don't line up with each other. You have the bump that separates the trapezius from the deltoid. This is made by the clavicle. However when you look at the line that indicates the clavicle and pit of the neck they don't line up. When drawing them they aren't on line all the way threw because the hard corners for the bone are softened out when you get to the shoulder because of the muscles there. That said they do still line up rhythmicly. You can think of it as drawing the line threw and then erasing the area where the bone is "covered" by muscle.

Going down from there it's worth remembering that the pectoralis lines in between the clavicle and the breasts. This will help you judge the distance and understand how the arm transitions into the torso.

A quick general rule with drawing the body; most of the parts of the body are convex shapes. Also the parts tend to overlap each other instead of merge. What this means for us is that most of the shapes we draw will look like a "y". You will have one line that carries threw until it fades away and another line that disappears into that line. This is probably better understood when seen so refer to the drawing below. Actively avoid putting concave shapes when drawing people and you'll start to notice how this work.

Lastly just some quick facts about the abdomen. There are 8 separate muscles in the that make it up; four pairs. Three of the pairs can all be found above the navel and only one below/level with. The top most is a bit of an oddity with some special rules but it for now it's ok if you ignore it. A good tip for placing everything is know where the rib cage and pelvis are. I've found know these two things is foundational for drawing the rest of the figure. From there the navel is halfway in between the bottom of the rib cage and top of the iliac crest. From there you have the three pairs going up to the rib cage. The top most over lapse the cage itself. And the one pair that goes down to the pelvis.

Hope that helps. My Main advise for learning how to draw the figure is being able to get the relationship between the rib cage and the pelvis down. From there it is much easier to add the limps and head.

Here are some notes and redrawings that I hope help. Hope this was helpful, feel free to ask any questions.

Postby wannabe » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:20 am

wannabe

Mandilor wrote:
I just wanted to point out some simple anatomical things that I think are easily fixable and will help you know and see how the body works.

You have the right details for the clavicles but they don't line up with each other. You have the bump that separates the trapezius from the deltoid. This is made by the clavicle. However when you look at the line that indicates the clavicle and pit of the neck they don't line up. When drawing them they aren't on line all the way threw because the hard corners for the bone are softened out when you get to the shoulder because of the muscles there. That said they do still line up rhythmicly. You can think of it as drawing the line threw and then erasing the area where the bone is "covered" by muscle.

Going down from there it's worth remembering that the pectoralis lines in between the clavicle and the breasts. This will help you judge the distance and understand how the arm transitions into the torso.

A quick general rule with drawing the body; most of the parts of the body are convex shapes. Also the parts tend to overlap each other instead of merge. What this means for us is that most of the shapes we draw will look like a "y". You will have one line that carries threw until it fades away and another line that disappears into that line. This is probably better understood when seen so refer to the drawing below. Actively avoid putting concave shapes when drawing people and you'll start to notice how this work.

Lastly just some quick facts about the abdomen. There are 8 separate muscles in the that make it up; four pairs. Three of the pairs can all be found above the navel and only one below/level with. The top most is a bit of an oddity with some special rules but it for now it's ok if you ignore it. A good tip for placing everything is know where the rib cage and pelvis are. I've found know these two things is foundational for drawing the rest of the figure. From there the navel is halfway in between the bottom of the rib cage and top of the iliac crest. From there you have the three pairs going up to the rib cage. The top most over lapse the cage itself. And the one pair that goes down to the pelvis.

Hope that helps. My Main advise for learning how to draw the figure is being able to get the relationship between the rib cage and the pelvis down. From there it is much easier to add the limps and head.

Here are some notes and redrawings that I hope help. Hope this was helpful, feel free to ask any questions.

Woah, much appreciate such a deployed review. That pose is the only one that was drawn approximately without a reference.
Clavicle and the abdomen areas are really askew :oops: .
There is an overlap at the ulnar cavity part of the left arm rather than merge, but made vice versa, and the curve (y-shape actually, the line is feeble) is still there (a biceps is not so 'pumped' maybe).

Generally, your explication is clear to me, i will remember that, thank you.
moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby wannabe » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:54 am

wannabe

Minor update with a bit of anatomy studies (skipped a leg day obviously, that's a milestone indeed :lol:)

moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby magicfanny » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:17 am

magicfanny

I like your anatomy study, but if you want to get the best results use a reference picture and try to redraw it with the correct anatomy in mind. there are some things that look a bit off. for example that foot seem to be a bit to short. Placing anatomy in the correct spot is important but making it look fluid is also a key role in order to pull the whole drawing in as a whole. I would recommend more figure drawings to help with that. overall its a very nice start.

Postby wannabe » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:02 pm

wannabe

magicfanny wrote:I like your anatomy study, but if you want to get the best results use a reference picture and try to redraw it with the correct anatomy in mind. there are some things that look a bit off. for example that foot seem to be a bit to short. Placing anatomy in the correct spot is important but making it look fluid is also a key role in order to pull the whole drawing in as a whole. I would recommend more figure drawings to help with that. overall its a very nice start.

Thanks, that's a matter of course.
moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby wannabe » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:09 pm

wannabe

Gunnerkrigg court webcomic characters copied mostly.

moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby Telepurte » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:48 pm

Telepurte

Whoah cool! You're working on a comic?
If you are, that's gonna be a lot of experience that you'll gain if you stick through it to the end
Hey, before you keep browsin', check my art out if you haven't already!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17763
http://telepurte.deviantart.com/

Postby wannabe » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:35 pm

wannabe

Agreed, but no. I craving that idea by a loong period.
Making own series would be a great thing, not only therefore it is fun by itself, and motivating also.
But i am horrible at plot writing that i think has to be a pivotal point of any media project, rather than interactions of characters only, like at a short strips (though i like playing with personalities).
It is highly doubtful that i can create something qualitative, meaningful, pleasant and fulfilled in my current environment, that is restrains me from shining in this. I don't want anyone interfere in a holy process of this deliciousness, but that is not possible in my everyday conditions.

*And that specific comic (which chars are redrawn from, at my previous post), is Tom Siddel's, i think you'll like it. At first glance it is pretty generic school drama, but bears within itself interesting thoughts. I like how he put them in cartoonish appearance (by intention or of mere serendipity), that is repulsive for those who is totally not a target audience and attractive for agile minded. Not so universal-deep but sapid for sure.

Oh and Merry Christmas !
moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby Nymzo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:11 am

Nymzo

I see potential :)

Postby wannabe » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:26 am

wannabe

Just to not rust away completely.
Hnngh

Nymzo wrote:I see potential :)

Hey, thanks.
moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby DRaff210 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:15 am

DRaff210

Is that The Orator's character I see? :P I love her work too! I definitely find that copying other artists helps me channel whatever their strengths are - in her case, I think it's definitely character design and expression. And Gunnerkrigg Court is awesome. Too bad I haven't read in like three years... gotta catch up at some point.

Postby wannabe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:43 pm

wannabe

DRaff210 wrote:Is that The Orator's character I see? :P I love her work too! I definitely find that copying other artists helps me channel whatever their strengths are - in her case, I think it's definitely character design and expression. And Gunnerkrigg Court is awesome. Too bad I haven't read in like three years... gotta catch up at some point.

Speaking frankly - i don't know. Copying random pins periodically, stumbled upon this. I liked that freckles and 'red nose' detail :)
Here some more of this char and random sketches
moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby wannabe » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:45 pm

wannabe

Continuing the same
Though experiencing some difficulties with head angles (chins looks either too flat, either too faceted)

moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby PitE » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:00 am

PitE

Great expression of character and your studies are looking quite fine ;) bottom of the jaw is pretty difficult so you just need to keep at it :)

Postby geryes » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:53 pm

geryes

Great progress so far buddy! I'm glad you are putting the work in and challenging yourself too. I can understand how the jawline can be tricky but I agree PitE that you just need to keep at it and maybe look at some references for help. In the mean time I kind of did a quick redraw for some of your faces and added some notes. I'm still working on this stuff myself but I hope this helps.

I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby wannabe » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:44 am

wannabe

PitE wrote:Great expression of character and your studies are looking quite fine ;) bottom of the jaw is pretty difficult so you just need to keep at it :)

Thank you.

geryes wrote:Great progress so far buddy! I'm glad you are putting the work in and challenging yourself too. I can understand how the jawline can be tricky but I agree PitE that you just need to keep at it and maybe look at some references for help. In the mean time I kind of did a quick redraw for some of your faces and added some notes. I'm still working on this stuff myself but I hope this helps.

Much appreciated! Saving this.
moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby wannabe » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:49 am

wannabe

Kind of returning to a comfort zone (poses)

And experimenting to making stuff without a ref. Ugly asfuk but uploading it anyway.
moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby wannabe » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:37 am

wannabe

More of cheap copies
(Elements bias, broken perspective and wrong proportions included, but screw this, keeps fire smouldering)

moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby Peteman22 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:50 am

Peteman22

Hey copying can be useful, particularity to see how another artist does something. It's also good that you can critique your on work. Something for these which may help them look better or other pencil drawings in the future ;(sorry for presuming if you already know this) When adding value a.k.a coloring pencil in pencil it looks neater if you get rid of the individual pencil markings by blending them together, either with a smudge stick, a piece of paper towel, or your finger. Then if an area is too dark, you can lift off the graphite with a kneaded eraser. (Or a regular eraser, but you can shape a kneaded eraser into whatever shape you need.)

Good work, though, keep it up. :D
What are you doing? Stop browsing the forum and get drawing.

Just visit my sketchbook first:

http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37212 Come say hello!

Postby Steeliebob » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:21 pm

Steeliebob

Nice work. I don't believe it's that important to finish everything. ^^
That monster in the second image is badass.

Postby wannabe » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:57 pm

wannabe

@Peteman22 Thanks for advice but i like rough looks of fast pencil sketches, and not like to polish every single piece.
@Steeliebob Definitely, though, not of my authorship.
moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby wannabe » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:00 pm

wannabe

Generic update
moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook