Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:24 am

zen

Subject title: Zen's sketchbook

Hey guys Zen here!
I wanted to post my sketchbook so someone besides me could see my progress. I will try to put everything in chronological order and get up earliest of my work.

Postby Menokokoro » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:48 am

Menokokoro

Do it! Can't wait to see what you've got! It's fun seeing other people's art, especially seeing their progression through time.

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:51 am

zen

Aight, so the first masterpices that im going to post was created back in 2012. Wasn't a big fan of anime and still not (have nothing against anime) but i though it was easiest "way" to draw. The art work makes me cringe so hard especially because ofthe wanky names that i created for characters :lol: . Remember at this time my mindset about art was that only talanted people could draw well. So I did it it purely for joy. I think i spend around a day to draw them all then i didnt draw anything for about 2 years...
IMG_0853-min.JPG
IMG_0854-min.JPG
IMG_0855-min.JPG
IMG_0856-min.JPG
IMG_0857-min.JPG
IMG_0858-min.JPG
IMG_0859-min.JPG
IMG_0860-min.JPG
IMG_0861-min.JPG
IMG_0862-min.JPG
IMG_0863-min.JPG
IMG_0864-min.JPG
IMG_0865-min.JPG
IMG_0866-min.JPG

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:05 am

zen

Don't really remember when this was drawn, i think around 2014 or so. It was fan art of Tyrael from diablo. Im pretty sure i was copying from screen of my SE K800 which has 32x40 and 240 x 320 pixels screen :lol: It was my first experience with lightning eventhough i had no idea what it was back then. I think it turned out pretty well considering i absolutely had no practice and knowledge in art :D
IMG_0867.JPG

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:14 am

zen

So after this Tyrael fanart i haven't draw anything for another 2 years. However, in 2016 i started to take art seriously and have drawn tons of stuff. Most of them however are not complete works but studies. Ok so this two "studies" are made in march of 2016 i belive. I was very dissapointed by the result and decided to quit drawing forever :lol: My sort of first experience with photoshop and digital art btw.
First.jpg
Second.jpg

Postby Unknown001 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:17 am

Unknown001

Like the design of that last one :D

Btw, anatomy is easier if you think of it as forms with volume. Keep it up :D
No excuses, you are where you are because of you and nobody else. Just stop coming up with excuses, get up and start running or time will leave you behind.

My sketchbook: http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68576

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:26 am

zen

In august of 2016 i watched tons of "motivational" videos which changed my perception about art and artists. So i started to practice as often as i could. And again i dont have lots of finished work but i have tons of studies/unfinished works. First pieces was mostly done by the guide( from those websited that shows you step by step how to create something). I wasted whole day creating this Ryu fanart, then i realized that it wasn't a good way to learn because most of the time I was polishing my line art by erasing every hairy looking line.
ryu.jpg
super.jpg

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:27 am

zen

Unknown001 wrote:Like the design of that last one :D

Btw, anatomy is easier if you think of it as forms with volume. Keep it up :D

Haha thanks , im not done posting yet. Wait up.

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:33 am

zen

So this one was inspired or influenced i should say by Marc Brunet's art or his tutorials.
Second piece was drawn from imagination by the method of the same guy. At this moment i was totally lost in my path what i want to draw and practice. So i just did random stuff.
robotguy for forum.jpg
head from imagination FF.jpg

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:44 am

zen

So these masterpieces were done after intense anatomy study. I pooped them out thinking that i was in a comfortable spot regarding anatomy. The coloring of my Gromsh fan art is beyond beauty standards.
funnier dude (unfinished) FF.jpg
funny dude FF.jpg
grom(no colors) FF.jpg
gromsh FF.jpg
Jumpman FF.jpg
muscle man FF.jpg
spartan 3(from memory) FF.jpg

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:59 am

zen

And again sick coloring and anatomy representation. At this moment I didn't respect references and though it was for noobs :lol:.
colors are hard.jpg
orc.jpg

Postby Unknown001 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:14 am

Unknown001

those step by step videos in my opinion are no good. Because you are only learning to draw them from a certain angle, but if you were learning the anatomy by thinking about forms and other methods you could draw that pose and many more. Good luck and keep working hard ^-^
No excuses, you are where you are because of you and nobody else. Just stop coming up with excuses, get up and start running or time will leave you behind.

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:18 am

zen

Ok these are very recent. I kinda stopped drawing from imagination as i saw nearly no progress(the sad looking girl is from imagination tho :lol:). Btw i took class in nearby community college. It was class concentrated on black and white traditional art. Helped me quite a bit. There i realized that you grow a lot faster by drawing from observation rather than mindlessly draw from imagination and assuming that how something "should" look rather than learning how somethig is actually looks. There are 2 copies of Artgem works btw.
ddsdsdsd.jpg
eyes studies 1.jpg
grill.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:25 am

zen

Unknown001 wrote:those step by step videos in my opinion are no good. Because you are only learning to draw them from a certain angle, but if you were learning the anatomy by thinking about forms and other methods you could draw that pose and many more. Good luck and keep working hard ^-^

I agree you can absorb some knowledge from these step by step guides and i certainly did. However, i think people should move on from them asap, because sooner or later you will have to learn how to deconstruct the image yourself and sort of make your own "step by step guide" in your mind. Thanks for response i will certainly work hard :).

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:48 am

zen

Studying head shapes was worst idea LOL, haven't learn anything from it. Im still pretty bad at gestures. Most of them must be 30 second studies i think. Trying to do gesture studies everyday, and have bunch of them saved. Hands looks pretty decent i guess from far away, howver i was terrified by the result when i looked at them closed up.
gesture 1.jpg
gestures studies 2.jpg
hand studies n1.jpg
head shapes studies.jpg

Postby Kyoobies » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:57 am

Kyoobies

Daaaaaaaamn, great practice! Mileage like that will get you places fast!
"Balsamic Vinegar" - Tsukasa Hiiragi

- - My [NSFW] Sketchbook! :D - - 21/m - -

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:05 am

zen

Kyoobies wrote:Daaaaaaaamn, great practice! Mileage like that will get you places fast!

Ikr i can even feel how i getting better at gesture drawing after i done 2 day non-stop gesture drawing. I honestly feel massive improvement. Btw i even dreamed how i draw gestures when i was sleeping after than. :D

Postby KeaneFox » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:06 am

KeaneFox

Good work on the last post :shock: .

Postby Kyoobies » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:26 am

Kyoobies

zen wrote:
Kyoobies wrote:Daaaaaaaamn, great practice! Mileage like that will get you places fast!

Ikr i can even feel how i getting better at gesture drawing after i done 2 day non-stop gesture drawing. I honestly feel massive improvement. Btw i even dreamed how i draw gestures when i was sleeping after than. :D

I totally know what you mean, I've kept up gestures everyday for like a week now and the consistency feels so helpful. ^^
"Balsamic Vinegar" - Tsukasa Hiiragi

- - My [NSFW] Sketchbook! :D - - 21/m - -

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:27 am

zen

Aight these are done for my art where we used black and white medium. The one done with red chalk is master copy of Raphael's masterpiece(?) "Psyche Offering Venus the Water" done with a grid. Eventhoug, it was done with a grid i think i learned from this master copy so so so much. Btw, i erased shapes of heads and eyes so much i though i will make a hole in the canvas so i stopped doing it and left those wonky lookin faces and eyes as it is :roll:. The most noticable thing i learned by copying this his drawing is that i have to try not to draw a straigt line when drawing human body, and only use C or S shaped lines. I have much more work done i class, however some of them looking totally awful or very boring.
P.S. these drawing are totally out of chronological order sorry :)
IMG_0869.JPG
IMG_0870.JPG
IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0875.JPG
IMG_0876.JPG
IMG_0877.JPG
IMG_0868.JPG

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:29 am

zen

KeaneFox wrote:Good work on the last post :shock: .

Haha thanks, i think i have some more studies done in this way.

Postby Unknown001 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:42 am

Unknown001

Wow, when you said you still had some to post I thought it would be a few more but never this much XD Nice work on them. You can see how much you've improved! keep it up ^-^

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:53 am

zen

Ok so here is the rest of my work. Mostly gestures. I decided that i will concentrate on medival/fantasy knights and it will be my main thing to improve on in the future. That is why i did some metal studies along with gestures. You can see how awful im at drawing completely from imagination by looking at this ugly drawn girl. Was bored with Arthas drawing so i put this textured brush on top of it to cover imperfections LMAO. Oh and yeah Santa was done for weekly challange for "serious" art imrpovement channel in disscord, its pretty dead by now but I encourage to join as much people as possible.
P.S. sorry for some unedited gesture drawing where you can barely see anything, too tired to edit.
arthas.jpg
Dunkin santa.jpg
figures1.jpg
gesture 3 pm day 2.jpg
gesture 12 pm 1.jpg
gesture class 1.jpg
gesture with distraction.jpg
gestures 3 pm.jpg
gestures B-.jpg
gestures SS.jpg
helmet practice.jpg
idk 3.jpg
Idk.jpg
idk2.jpg
Metal studies.jpg

Postby zen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:57 am

zen

Unknown001 wrote:Wow, when you said you still had some to post I thought it would be a few more but never this much XD Nice work on them. You can see how much you've improved! keep it up ^-^

Well recently i went hardcore on drawing as I said :D Thanks, words like "you improved" really motivates me :3.

Postby MichoJarocho » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:28 am

MichoJarocho

wow I just saw both pages of your sketchbook and boy have you been improving fast! You're incredible! I wish I could go hardcore with practice as you do! Keep working like that!

Next

Return to Sketchbook