Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby MishArt101 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:45 pm

MishArt101

Subject title: Mishart101 Sketchbook (NSFW)

Xiphor wrote:That last is a nice improvement! For proportions, a good start is if you look up "loomis 7 head figure" :) Hope it helps!

Thanks!. Lately i been measuring alot less and been using intuition and my eye to measure, i don't know if its a good thing or bad habit but sometimes i just know when something is off or when i look at it again later. Occassionally i squint and get a pencil to try and check but generally i try to do it by eye.

121_2 Female Sketch Rough.jpg

121_1 Female Sketch Sycra.jpg

122 Female quick sketches.jpg

I been doing quick sketches of women lately. I sort of got okay at construction but my figures are looking weird. So i decided to do some photostudies. I kinda don't try to do super accuracte copies and the one on the left didn't actually have the hips or legs visible she was sitting on the bed so i made that up. Im pleased how the one on the right turned out like a comic book character. I saw the facial shadows and tried to implement it. I need to work more on my legs. I struggle with their anatomy and general shapes. And more feet studies.

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:51 am

NesoKaiyoH

Don't worry, as you know it's just a matter of practice, you'll get there! Good stuff :D
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby MishArt101 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:19 pm

MishArt101

123 Feet practice.jpg

Started doing some foot practice.
NesoKaiyoH wrote:Don't worry, as you know it's just a matter of practice, you'll get there! Good stuff :D

I'll keep going.

Postby Koźlik » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:15 pm

Koźlik

These are cool studies. The more you do them, the better you get ^^
Keep it up!
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby MishArt101 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:59 pm

MishArt101

124 michael hampton foot practice.jpg

125 Form study.jpg

126 michael hampton study.jpg

Been studying Michael Hampton and his text on feet. Did relise that my ability to construct shapes and form is not as good as i thought it is. So i will correct that. Also im thinking of moving away from photoshop. I can't decided if i want open canvas or clip studio paint. Open canvas in my opinion is easier to get than clip studio. I want something with line smoothing rulers and guides. Preferably with all the painting and layer management tools of photoshop. Something similar to sketchbook pro in a way.

Postby MishArt101 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:49 am

MishArt101

127 Figure sketches.jpg

128 more Figure sketches.jpg

Postby MishArt101 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:30 pm

MishArt101

129 Anatomy Study sheet.jpg

130 legs study.jpg

Postby miloyoyo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:43 am

miloyoyo

hamptons book is great glad to see you're using it! I also see that your doing tracings of photos, one thing that might help you is to try and do cross contours of the forms on the photos themselves, or try drawing the simple forms of the figures directly on top of it. keep up the good work!

Postby MishArt101 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:27 pm

MishArt101

miloyoyo wrote:hamptons book is great glad to see you're using it! I also see that your doing tracings of photos, one thing that might help you is to try and do cross contours of the forms on the photos themselves, or try drawing the simple forms of the figures directly on top of it. keep up the good work!

Thanks will do, im interested in hamptons book at the moment because it has nice simple forms. Im trying to improve my understanding of form more than actual anatomy itself.

131 Arm study.jpg

Postby MishArt101 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:51 pm

MishArt101

132 Figure from imagination.jpg

133 General Samir draft 1.jpg

I am currently working on a project. Im going to attempt making a finished piece. The images above current attempts at this. For some reason whenever i attempt to draw a finished piece my quality drops. One thing i noticed and im not sure its a good thing is whenever i try to draw a human im not actually trying to draw im trying to build the human and perhaps thats where im going wrong. These images are from memory.
134 anatomy traces.jpg

These are my latest traces of humans from photgraphs. Im not sure if it helps me, if one thing i learned is humans are very random in their make up some people can be pretty asymetrical. I think i need to design myself a mannequin and create a style figure to make my own life easier.

When i study drawing techniques by people such as michael hampton, i try to understand their thoughts and reasoning behind the process and then attempt to create my own version of the process. Is that bad? Should i do more copies of other artists work and follow their process to the letter? The reason i ask is because for me progress has been kinda of slow. Im improving in general but im not really moving towards my goals. I want to draw anime and us comic panels. And design cool action heroes and heroines and make monsters and such and i feel that i might going about this the wrong way.

These examples of the kind of level and art i want to draw.
https://www.artstation.com/artist/helgesonart - This is an artist i look up to.

This also an example of the kind of art style i want.
Disclaimer: The image above is not my work. Thought i mention it just incase :D

Postby geryes » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:49 am

geryes

Your anatomy studies are coming along very nicely. Keep practicing and you start making some really nice figures.

You asked me a while back how I got the angles for my 3d images and I mainly use this grid for it. Let me know if this helps and keep up the great work!
Spoiler: show
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby MishArt101 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:45 pm

MishArt101

geryes wrote:Your anatomy studies are coming along very nicely. Keep practicing and you start making some really nice figures.

You asked me a while back how I got the angles for my 3d images and I mainly use this grid for it. Let me know if this helps and keep up the great work!

Thanks will do. The reason i asked is because i wanted to see how to make my own grid. I figured it out in the end. It just requires alot of patience.

135 Anatomy draft.jpg

136 Anatomy line.jpg

137 anatomy shade.jpg

This is an observational study from photograph reference.

Postby geryes » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:08 am

geryes

Nice anatomy study. I'm still learning it myself but wht I do notice is that the upper arms are really short. The elbows usually come down to about where the hip starts I think and the the hands fall by the thigh.

I tried to draw it myself to show you but like i said i'm still learning it too. I hope this helps and keep up the good work.

ImageImage
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby MishArt101 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:43 pm

MishArt101

geryes wrote:Nice anatomy study. I'm still learning it myself but wht I do notice is that the upper arms are really short. The elbows usually come down to about where the hip starts I think and the the hands fall by the thigh.

I tried to draw it myself to show you but like i said i'm still learning it too. I hope this helps and keep up the good work.

Thanks for the feedback. I will pay closer attention to my arm length. Thank you for showing how it should be.

138 Back study quick.jpg

Pardon my sloppy quality this time please. I did a quick study of the back based on reference and hamptons book. Also trying out a opacity hard round brush. Now that i find it easier to do smooth lines i feel i don't need to hide it with spikey brushes :D
139 ribcage study.jpg

This is also something i wanted to do. A diagram connecting the collar bone to the shoulder blade. I will do a better version of this later. This one is from memory.

140 lower leg study.jpg

Lower leg study.

141 form.jpg

Postby MishArt101 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:31 pm

MishArt101

142 form sheet 2.jpg

143 feet.jpg

Yeh i actually struggle with feet, more specifically with the back of the foot and getting to look like its standing on a surface. Form is really starting to come through. I decided to study sycras tutorial to try and speed this up a bit. Should really use more reference but right now i want to make something that looks like a foot and stylise it for cartoons. I am not looking for hyper realism .

144 Figure.jpg

145 Figure 2.jpg

Some figures from memory. I feel now that im starting to really draw. Drawing these was very fun i had a flow going and i felt like i was in control of the drawing for the first time.

Postby MishArt101 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:48 pm

MishArt101

146 figure 3.jpg

147 arm study.jpg

148 arm study 2.jpg

Postby MishArt101 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:14 pm

MishArt101

150 samurai.jpg

I got into the business of drawing in order to draw us comics, manga and cartoons in general. Almost 2 and half years later....errr yeh i need to draw a cartoon character. So here it is!! :D

Postby geryes » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:05 pm

geryes

Your anatomy studies are coming along nicely. Just mind those proportions :)
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby MishArt101 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:51 am

MishArt101

geryes wrote:Your anatomy studies are coming along nicely. Just mind those proportions :)

I will try although i want to deform my characters too just for fun. I am at a loss with what is correct though looking at ripped dudes for example their muscles can be all over the place.
151 skulls.jpg

Messing around with skulls a bit. Also i discovered my tablet was set on max sensitivity after adjusting it i finally have an easier time with drawing lines. Like alot easier. Im overwhelmed at the possibilities and things to come.

Postby MishArt101 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:25 pm

MishArt101

152 skulls shading.jpg

New goal. Add shading to my work from now on. I figured somewhat off shadows is better than no shadow. Also i been struggling to describe forms with just line i feel im reaching the end what i can do with line. So now its time for hatching and cross hatching since my goal is comic books. Also going to master line weight, more dynamic lines like thinner where theres light thicker where theres shadow. Or thick outline thin details etc.

Postby geryes » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:29 pm

geryes

MishArt101 wrote:
geryes wrote:Your anatomy studies are coming along nicely. Just mind those proportions :)

I will try although i want to deform my characters too just for fun. I am at a loss with what is correct though looking at ripped dudes for example their muscles can be all over the place.

While you can distort muscles and body parts there still has to be an awareness of proportions. Even with something like One Piece where you have varying sizes and body shapes, the proportions still work. I wish I could explain it better. Point is you can distort the body but it helps to understand a normal body before you can distort it.

I hope this helps ^^, and keep up the great work.
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby MishArt101 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:03 pm

MishArt101

153 Hampton head proportion study.jpg

Did a quick study on hamptons head. I was curious about the keystone and placing the nose. His book mentions and im sure i didn't misread that the cranium takes about 2 thirds of the head. So i tested in on the left. Then i traced hampton a bit and placed the features. Conclusion is, its about 2 and a half units. But on a positive the head can be devided into thirds to find the nose and the eyebrow ridge.
154 hands.jpg

Postby MishArt101 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:47 pm

MishArt101

156 Hand practice.jpg

Postby MishArt101 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:56 pm

MishArt101

160 Hands.jpg

Postby MishArt101 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:42 pm

MishArt101

161 samurai head redesign.jpg

Trying out more comic book art. Need to fix the blurringness of my lines though.

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook