Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby nuba » Thu May 19, 2016 6:58 am

nuba

Subject title: nuba's sketchbook

Hiya everyone!

I'm a 19 year old person from Norway, and while I don't think I'll pursue art professionally, I'd like to get better at it than I currently am! I'll try to not post anything older than 24 hours, but who knows, maybe I'll break the rule every now and then :D

Typically I draw in a style that's pretty anime-inspired but I'll try not to post too much of that here cuz you people probably see a lot of that already, hehe!
Last edited by nuba on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:55 am, edited 5 times in total.

Postby nuba » Sat May 21, 2016 1:56 pm

nuba

Well, these were supposed to be compositional master studies but they turned more into value studies than anything else.. I'll definitely do more of these but focus more on the composition part than the value part!

Comp studies.png
Last edited by nuba on Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby nuba » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:01 pm

nuba

Woah, realized I haven't actually posted anything here in the longest time. Well, I did draw a lot this summer but I guess I haven't really committed to it thus far. I've been getting into some gesture/figure drawing as of late and I've committed to doing at least 1 hour of it every day now for the past week or so. The ones that are un-numbered are between either 30 sec or 1 minute, but I put the time on the longer ones for the sake of clarity. Still having a bit of an issue with how to go about flow as my 30sec stuff looks incredibly stiff.. Well anyways here's my stuff from these last couple of days
5th.png
3rd fig compress.png
4rd fig compress.png

Postby nuba » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:57 pm

nuba

So here's a bit of a mix, hehhhh

The first one is actually a piece I did some time back (like half a month or so) which is related to some commission I did (It was a music video though so I doubt it'd be all that relevant over here). The chains were made in 3D, but I painted over them in my drawing software. As for the girl, I feel like she looks kinda (ok, very) stiff, but I'm a bit unsure of how I'd do one of those plain standing poses from the front without making them look 100% plastic.

The second one is a 30-minute study I finished just now. I'm really iffy with environments still so I feel like I need to practice it. I get so overwhelmed by all the details in my picture references and I just don't know what to do in general. My reference was a random one from street view, heh.
e d g e scaledown.png
street view1.png

Postby Ragamuffin » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:20 am

Ragamuffin

Hm, the first piece is intriguing. I think that's a cool composition.
As for poses, when people are standing naturally, they don't distribute their weight evenly. It's usually on one leg, creating the assymetry that gives a nice rhythm to the pose. That said, a stiff pose might be the point of a picture, like a soldier standing at attention.

And color studies like the second pic are very valuable :)

Postby nuba » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:35 pm

nuba

Ragamuffin wrote:Hm, the first piece is intriguing. I think that's a cool composition.
As for poses, when people are standing naturally, they don't distribute their weight evenly. It's usually on one leg, creating the assymetry that gives a nice rhythm to the pose. That said, a stiff pose might be the point of a picture, like a soldier standing at attention.

And color studies like the second pic are very valuable :)

Thanks for the feedback, Ragamuffin! I guess the stiff pose works for that picture -- I really need to work on my more plain poses, though, as I always struggle so much with making my character not seem like plastic hahaha.

Today I did a bit of figure drawing then some 30-min colour studies! Probably already said that environments are hELL and so far outta my comfort zone but I guess that just means I need to work harder on that.

Sadly won't be able to upload anything this weekend as I'll be going away! Who knows though, maybe I'll be able to do some cool pencil sketches while I'm gone 8-)
Gesture 8.png
street view 2.png
street view3.png
texture prac.png

Postby nuba » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:09 pm

nuba

Updating here with some (not all) of the stuff I did over the weekend. Tried to sketch at the opportunities given to me, some of it is from life and other stuff is from imagination. Other than that, I also uploaded today's figure drawing session and also a quick(ish) study of a face I did before I left. The study was my first encounter with trying to realistically render human skin and I sure do understand why so many people are struggling with it now!
s1.5.png
s2.5.png
s3.5.png
s4.5.png
11th.png
face study comp.png

Postby nuba » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:08 pm

nuba

Agh! Wanted to get so much done but somehow today was kinda not productive for me. The first is just a 1-hour figure drawin session while the second and third pictures are some quick sketches for a school project. It's collaborative so I felt I had to put in some basic shading to communicate my vision!
12.png
plan still1.png
plan still2.png

Postby nuba » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:30 pm

nuba

Kind of a meh day for me today. Managed to do my 1hr of figure drawing and a value study of a photograph I took from a nearby building. I added a character in there to amuse myself and I found it interesting trying out some texture brushes and all that!
GESTURE 15TH.png
Environment study.png

Postby Kyoobies » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:05 pm

Kyoobies

That creature with the long neck and the mouth-face covered by a mask is awesome. :shock:
"Balsamic Vinegar" - Tsukasa Hiiragi

- - My [NSFW] Sketchbook! :D - - 21/m - -

Postby nuba » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:43 pm

nuba

Kyoobies wrote:That creature with the long neck and the mouth-face covered by a mask is awesome. :shock:

Thanks, Kyoobies! I really just tried to draw whatever I could come up with to keep myself entertained at the time, hehe.

I've really not been feeling up to the task of drawing these past two days. I skipped my daily figure drawing twice (Oh nooo, I gotta keep working at that!) and haven't drawn all that much. Might as well post some of the things I did do even though they're not that great?

For the first one, I just coloured the value thingy from the other day. The second one is a thing I did in an hour. I only managed to get soft shadows laid in and I'm not entirely happy with the colours, but I might work further on this one, who knows?
Untitled-1.png
girl.png

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:11 pm

NesoKaiyoH

Your greyscale studies and figures are really nice owo
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby nuba » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:30 pm

nuba

NesoKaiyoH wrote:Your greyscale studies and figures are really nice owo

Thanks, Neso! I feel like I should really work on my colour though.. I've recently bought James Gurney's "Color and Light" and I wanna flip through it when I get the chance! Maybe it'll help me, who knows?

Been feeling a bit "meh" about drawing as of late. Maybe it's time I switch up my stuff to make things a bit more spicy? I'm thinking about getting into doing more colour stuff (and also more stuff from imagination). Today was an uninspired day for me, hehe. I feel like I gotta step up my cloth game so I just looked at a bunch of different clothes. Dunno if it even helped me that much but maybe it means I should just do more?
17thfig.png
clothes.png

Postby LouIT » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:44 pm

LouIT

I absolutely love the way you render your figure drawings! Also, that last portrait was beautiful, if a little rough^_^

Postby nuba » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:08 am

nuba

LouIT wrote:I absolutely love the way you render your figure drawings! Also, that last portrait was beautiful, if a little rough^_^

Thanks, LouIT!! For figure drawings I just go in with a really big soft brush which helps me focus on the biggest shapes, then I make my brush smaller and paint the shapes that are a bit smaller (then rinse and repeat I guess?) I really don't like doing it in my workflow when I draw for imagination as I really am more of a line art person, hehe. Also, thanks for the compliment on the portrait! I still feel like I really need to learn the colours of the human body though. It's so difficult to me!

Postby Fantelle » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:34 pm

Fantelle

Your figures are getting really good! And on the subject of color, don't feel pushed. There is no drawback in doing b/w studies and you learn a lot from them. ^^

Postby nuba » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:40 pm

nuba

Fantelle wrote:
    Your figures are getting really good! And on the subject of color, don't feel pushed. There is no drawback in doing b/w studies and you learn a lot from them. ^^

Thank you, Fantelle!! Personally I can't see any improvement in the figure drawing. To be honest, I feel like I'm at the point now where my ability to observe is surpassing my drawing skill so stuff on my part is getting kinda slow!

Did a 30-minute figure drawing session today. Nothing special, but I've been low-key hitting a wall as of late.. I'll still try to keep the figure drawing up though as I feel like it really helps my general drawing skills!!

Also tried copying a costume design from FFXIV:ARR. I feel like my male figures always look super stiff when I draw them from imagination?? Also I need to expand my library in hopes of being able to draw more detailed characters, and I feel that copying other designs might be a good place to start!
19.png
s19.png

Postby nuba » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:30 pm

nuba

Drew mostly from imagination today, actually. Played around with the symmetry thingy in my drawing software and I thought it'd be cool to design some overly inconvenient weapons and shields out of it! The first one if just a thing my friend requested.
Harald nya smol.png
wep design.png

Postby nuba » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:29 pm

nuba

Yesterday's gesture. Also finally got some watercolour supplies and went out to do some outdoors painting. I'm not too used to traditional media so it was definitely interesting. Hopefully I'll be able to make the outdoors painting thing a semi-daily, if not a daily thing!
14375164_10209628509383759_970385642_o.png
14408342_10209633448067223_2008072335_o.jpg

Postby nuba » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:42 pm

nuba

Today was a pretty good day for me! Started out with doing some studies on sub surface scattering (3rd image) and then I tried doing it on my own twice from imagination! The time spent on the two first images is around an hour and a half. Also managed to do 1 hour of figure drawing today! The final two images are studies from google street view. I feel like I really need to get some good textured brushes for the program I'm using (Clip Studio Paint)
edgy rimlight smol.png
rimlight grill smol.png
subsurf.png
Figure 22.png
street view 22.1.png
street view 22.2.jpg

Postby Grass » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:26 am

Grass

Spoiler: show

Wow! This study is really great! Those colors and subsurface scatters, or whatever you call it, are really well made!
Also the hands are pretty solid to! Keep it up and keep em going! :D

Postby nuba » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:49 pm

nuba

Grass wrote:
Spoiler: show

Wow! This study is really great! Those colors and subsurface scatters, or whatever you call it, are really well made!
Also the hands are pretty solid to! Keep it up and keep em going! :D

Thanks a lot, Grass! I feel like I learned a lot from doing those studies. I really wanna do more when I get the time (also when I find appropriate reference cuz finding a ref for this kinda lighting is hard, I feel :/

Today was another productive-ish day for me. Started the day off with the first image entirely from imagination. The hands are just photos I colour corrected a bit, and to be honest I really like the expression in this kind of collage-looking art. Other than that, I did a colour study of a picture I liked (I dunno how to bring that study further at this point, pleh) and another 30 minute street view study. Also did 1 hour of gesture drawing today so yay I guess!

EDIT: Also did some plein air but it's so chaotic! I might be using too much water in my watercolour hmmm
TRAGEDY smol.png
ruin study.png
street view 23.png
Figure 23.png
plein air 23.jpg

Postby Grass » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:47 pm

Grass

nuba wrote:Thanks a lot, Grass! I feel like I learned a lot from doing those studies. I really wanna do more when I get the time (also when I find appropriate reference cuz finding a ref for this kinda lighting is hard, I feel :/

Yeah. Really hard to find a good lighting reference. So instead of finding, I get reference in the movies that I watched. :D

Postby nuba » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:30 am

nuba

Grass wrote:
nuba wrote:Thanks a lot, Grass! I feel like I learned a lot from doing those studies. I really wanna do more when I get the time (also when I find appropriate reference cuz finding a ref for this kinda lighting is hard, I feel :/

Yeah. Really hard to find a good lighting reference. So instead of finding, I get reference in the movies that I watched. :D

Hey, that's really smart! Thanks for reminding me of that clever way to find reference material, heh!

Started reading from Hampton's book on gesture drawing today. Pretty interesting stuff! Made me realize I've been doing gestures wrong this whole time since I've been drawing the contours and I haven't focused on the form!
hampton 24.png
24 figure.png

Postby nuba » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:04 pm

nuba

Did a couple of more studies from Hampton's book today! Managed to get through the entire book up until anatomy. Dunno if I should do more studies on the subjects before that? I might, who knows! For now though, here's today's stuff! The last one is entirely from imagination, I wanted to try to apply some of the concepts I learned today!
hampton1.png
hampton3.png
lol dude.png

Next

Return to Sketchbook