Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby Kam » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Kam

Subject title: Kam's sketchbook (NSFW)

These are kinda really unorganized ._.
IMG_0470.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG
IMG_0487.JPG
IMG_0488.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG
IMG_0492.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0499.JPG

There's very little imagination/invention going on with these, I often lay down a line or some value or visualize it and then look at the ref to see if I got it right, sometimes I do.
I'm trying to think more about what I'm trying rather than how I'm drawing it, literally drawing the basic forms is great and I've done it a lot and still will, but I feel like construction type studies end up being just for the sake of the construction, you get so caught up in that aspect that you kinda lose track of what you're even drawing,

Also anatomy is really painful, it's so hard to figure out what's even going on sometimes, still haven't figured out some stuff but I don't feel like getting stuck on it too much for now.

Postby rafagarcia » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:08 pm

rafagarcia

hey!! good studies!!! :O

Postby Kam » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:38 pm

Kam

rafagarcia wrote:hey!! good studies!!! :O

I struggled to rotate one of those joints from ref properly so I went back to rotating boxes and such, I had to take a deep breath and accept the fact that I'm still not good at that
IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG

I hate to admit it but after going through my posts from around last year it seems that I've stagnated, I said I don't have a process and get confused on the what's and hows and that's still a thing, I've been catering my practices more towards what I'm doing instead of the how because I already know enough hows, I just get confused on what to use and don't trust myself enough to experiment and just do whatever and see how it goes.

I wasted so much time for nothing, I distanced myself from my goals rather than getting closer to them.

Postby Kam » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:46 pm

Kam

IMG_0502.JPG
IMG_0503.JPG
IMG_0505.JPG
IMG_0506.JPG
IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0508.JPG
IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG
uh.JPG
9.JPG
process:
Spoiler: show
output_3pQXVH.gif
99.JPG
I tried to be dilligent with the lineart, though the painting part fell apart, I tried to colorize it but I couldn't do it, at that point I really didn't want to bother with it more so it stayed grayscale, I noticed a few mistakes I do, next time I won't approach this the same way but for now I don't feel like trying something like this again

I'm not sure where to start with colors, I mostly approached it intuitively and didn't do much proper study on the subject, color is considered the hardest fundamental by a lot of people, doing photostudies would probably have me end up getting too caught up in getting the right proportions and values but I'm not sure, there's a lot of problems I still have and failed to fix despite trying, I'm not sure if taking another break and trying to rethink how I approach art would help.

Postby Moe » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:48 pm

Moe

Nice studies, I like the animals the most and the figures and anatomy sketches are looking good. Now with the finished character piece, initially the form was here but once you added the clothing and values it seemed to to flatten out. The drapery also doesn't feel natural. I think sycra mentioned something on how it's important to make your practices as similar as it can to your performances. So if you're studying animals but drawing characters from imagination without applying any of that it may be difficult to retain. It may also be a good idea to sketch clothed characters more often with simple lightning, (e.g.,: http://moeazy.deviantart.com/art/Croquis-3-79036924) I think that may help you come up with better finished stuff.
Yolo

Postby Kam » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:32 pm

Kam

Moe wrote:Nice studies, I like the animals the most and the figures and anatomy sketches are looking good. Now with the finished character piece, initially the form was here but once you added the clothing and values it seemed to to flatten out. The drapery also doesn't feel natural. I think sycra mentioned something on how it's important to make your practices as similar as it can to your performances. So if you're studying animals but drawing characters from imagination without applying any of that it may be difficult to retain. It may also be a good idea to sketch clothed characters more often with simple lightning, (e.g.,: http://moeazy.deviantart.com/art/Croquis-3-79036924) I think that may help you come up with better finished stuff.

That drawing was just garbage and I should've stopped bothering with it when I realized it's not gonna go anywhere but oh well, I guess I was desperate to make something "finished" because I hardly do that and yeah, making anything look natural is a lot easier said than done but yeah, the drapery is just bad and wrong, but I couldn't really figure it out. Thanks for the link, I'll try those later, if I ever... do anything anymore tbh.

Postby RAC00NIE » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:08 pm

RAC00NIE

Very nice drawings and paintings! The only criticism I could offer would be that you should study clothing folds a bit (talking about the latest painting).

Postby PuRin0 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:56 pm

PuRin0

Awesome drawings as always Kam *o* love those lizards and that spoon is just amazing !!

Postby Kam » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:22 pm

Kam

RAC00NIE wrote:Very nice drawings and paintings! The only criticism I could offer would be that you should study clothing folds a bit (talking about the latest painting).

I'll do that.
PuRin0 wrote:Awesome drawings as always Kam *o* love those lizards and that spoon is just amazing !!

thanks, doesn't really account to anything when I don't have any good personal works to show however.

IMG_0567.JPG

giving up would be lame, I'm intentionally going to do less to avoid burnout, it'll give me more time to think about how I can do things less wrong.

Postby Moe » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:15 am

Moe

I'm glad you haven't given up! Hang in there tight, we're all gonna make it.
ookami_san_to_shichinin_no_nakama_tachi_ep_4_3_by_rolf_fan_girl-d80e5w3.jpg
Yolo

Postby Kam » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:40 pm

Kam

Moe wrote:I'm glad you haven't given up! Hang in there tight, we're all gonna make it.
The attachment ookami_san_to_shichinin_no_nakama_tachi_ep_4_3_by_rolf_fan_girl-d80e5w3.jpg is no longer available

I feel like a candle in the wind, I don't have a shred of the confidence I used to have which wasn't much to begin with.

IMG_0570.JPG

my hand's shaky, but I wish that was my only problem.

Postby Kam » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:36 pm

Kam

IMG_0572.JPG

I get heavily frustrated over things, it's not entirely out of place when I still struggle with things I've practiced a lot. I lost sense of form here and there, drapery is incredibly complex. Regardless I need to move on for now. forcing myself to do more than this little bit when I get so frustrated is going to throw me off again, I need to relearn how to have fun with drawing but after all this it's not going to be easy, I wouldn't have stuck to art if it was painful to do for me but at some point it started feeling like a chore and I felt like I'm struggling a lot with it, it went downhill from there.

Postby HopeMetal » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:52 pm

HopeMetal

You can try some doodling before or after doing studies where you don't have to do everything correctly. You seem to keep beating yourself up over everything so putting shapes (or forms if you want) and lines down and accepting the results might help to let out some steam after a serious study.

Postby Kam » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:15 pm

Kam

HopeMetal wrote:You can try some doodling before or after doing studies where you don't have to do everything correctly. You seem to keep beating yourself up over everything so putting shapes (or forms if you want) and lines down and accepting the results might help to let out some steam after a serious study.

That's not a bad idea, though I'm not really the doodling type, I usually sit down and draw with the intention of making something good and by good I mean as well as my skill level allows, I know that's not a great mindset which is why some loose sketching is what I'm going to start doing. I need and want to get good at doing some looser gestural sketches for my drawings before putting more into them, it helps lay down a nice base to build on rather than trying to make something nice right off the bat, while I wish I could do that my sketches from imagination and make them look nice I tend to have a lot more lines in them, that's something that practice can fix but I didn't accept that and I guess I still haven't. I have a hard time seeing the more developed version of a drawing in a not so good initial "scribble" and that's an issue that I didn't have from the start, my dumb expectations created that problem.

IMG_0573.JPG

I need to kinda make my arm studies from last month get somewhere before leaving it for a while, arms are probably my weakest point alongside the back side of the torso but after these it should be at least on par with whatever I can do with the rest... I'm going to just keep up with doing a single page till the month ends and try to pick up the pace next month. That means a change in how I do things as well, I'm not gonna do pages and pages of studies and not do anything with them anymore, doing that again would mean I'm an absolute idiot.

value scale practice
IMG_0575.JPG

I've found this to be really helpful for how well I can control the pressure of the pencil for shading, so I did these for warmup sometimes, so these weren't all done together.

Postby RAC00NIE » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:17 pm

RAC00NIE

These clothing studies look great! :D

Postby Kam » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:17 pm

Kam

RAC00NIE wrote:These clothing studies look great! :D

Thanks :) I hope I can apply what I learned properly later on though, I feel like I learned quite a bit so hopefully I made some sort of progress.

IMG_0578.JPG

Postby Kam » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:48 pm

Kam

IMG_0580.JPG

A few are invented

Postby PitE » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:49 am

PitE

I really like the way you shade! You're really able to show more than just its form and texture but also some ambiance hinting at some environment. Pencil/graphite is a sorta foreign medium to me, since I almost exclusively use pen, but I think it'd be time for me to give my pencils some love. I can see you're very studious and I don't think you or I will have to worry about whether or not you'll contribute to our community of artists. It'd be impossible for you to have only motivated me :)

Postby Kam » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:34 pm

Kam

PitE wrote:I really like the way you shade! You're really able to show more than just its form and texture but also some ambiance hinting at some environment. Pencil/graphite is a sorta foreign medium to me, since I almost exclusively use pen, but I think it'd be time for me to give my pencils some love. I can see you're very studious and I don't think you or I will have to worry about whether or not you'll contribute to our community of artists. It'd be impossible for you to have only motivated me :)

Thanks, I use wax pencils more often than graphite but I've gotten more comfortable with graphite through using it more, I mostly don't use graphite due to it's smeary nature but that can actually be pretty helpful sometimes for making smoother gradations by smudging, though overdoing that usually makes a mess. The fact that there's a strong imbalance between how much I do studies and how much I do my own stuff hasn't had a good impact on me in any way, regardless even if I'm not going through the best times at the very least I don't forget about my goals.

----------------------------------------------------

It's been some time since I haven't been able to devote much or any time to drawing, I've had free time but the drive to do anything isn't there. I'm not sure what to do, why am I afraid of even trying? setting the bar way higher than what's possible for my level of skill became a habit that I still can't break and I think that prevents me from drawing, I have this odd feeling of both really wanting to draw and also avoiding it, I hope this goes away or at least I manage to make it go away, next time I show up here I want to have something to show that isn't just the same thing.
I was really frustrated with how slow my progression was, surely the way I was going about it had a hand in it, but whatever the deal is there's no point in caring about that too much, caring too much about results makes you want to start taking shortcuts and that makes you lose sight of the truth, in my case doing a lot of studies but not putting proper time to apply them to what I'm doing them for in the first case was the shortcut.

Postby Kam » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Kam

IMG_E0589.JPG
IMG_E0863.JPG
IMG_E0866.JPG
IMG_E0871.JPG
IMG_E0865.JPG
IMG_0868.JPG

Capture.JPG

output_EikhQW.gif

PreviousNext