Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Peteman22 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:22 pm

Peteman22

Subject title: Fi_le's sketchbook

Good job on the Rembrandt study. Looks like your hard work is paying off. :D
What are you doing? Stop browsing the forum and get drawing.

Just visit my sketchbook first:

http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37212 Come say hello!

Postby Zuben_Art » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:57 pm

Zuben_Art

Hey fi_le!!

This is a great sketchbook. Lots of great work here!
I really like your painting technique. Way better than mine (which is not very good :(). It captures the lighting very well but is still stylized which I find very cool looking (big fan of stylized art/semi realism.).

The only real area of improvement I see is the scratchiness of the lines. While I do like a rough looking/sketchy vibe from art as much as the next guy it clashes with the more rendered painting style. I don't know why but it appears as if the lines and painting aren't too cohesive together.

Either way great work!! Hope to see more.
Art is a BANG!!

Postby yugugli » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:11 am

yugugli

Nice improvment between the Sargent and Rembrandt! Doing those are a big challenging while a nice path to learn. Also, you're quite young! I really wnat to see where you will gonna be at 18. hehe Keep working, dude!( When i was at your age i didn't draw that much, just played pokémon on my oldie nintendo ds).
Technique wise, there are three points that you could look up to: First, i noticed that when doing studies from photos, you seems to focus more on a line mindwork, while studying from paintings you use more a pictorical mind(to exemplify that, through your process in the rembrandt one, you blocked the gerenal values/colors and then tackled the smaller shapes of the face). In the end, we are talking about doing pictures, so i would advise to you to try interconnecting those two approaches in both studies. Try to bring the painting element to drawing and vice-versa.
The other two are minor stuff, but try squinting at paintings. A lot, actually. Like, in the lit area of Rembrandt's hair, the white is a little stronger than in the original one. As well as edges. I love them, and they play a lot in a great painting. Try to look more closely to them.
In general, pretty good work!
And aways keep in mind what you want to achieve when doing a study (color, values, proportions, edges etc.).
:)

Postby fi_le » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:56 am

fi_le

Hi Zuben, thanks for the feedback! I'm very happy that you like what I do. I wonder how I can implement your critique... do cohesive lines come over time? Can you practice that specifically? If any of you guys have tips, please send 'em my way ;)

Hello yuyugli! Thanks to you for your comment, too. It means a lot to me that you already saw improvement in this sketchbook.
You seem to have a really good eye: Now that you mentioned it, I focus more on proportions with photo studies and more on painting with art studies, I will mix it up in the future :)
Edges and values are totally vital, so the other two tips will be valuable as well.

Now, here's my progress on the Rembrandt:
Ohne Titel-106.jpg

I tried gouache this week! Fun times.
DSC_0070.JPG
A painting of a desert. I combined coloured pencils with the brushwork.

DSC_0071.JPG
Some lady in a fancy dress.

Also, I did this:
Ohne Titel-108_alt.png
Karane from "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword". Best girl!

Have a great week :)

Postby Zuben_Art » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:30 am

Zuben_Art

fi_le wrote:Hi Zuben, thanks for the feedback! I'm very happy that you like what I do. I wonder how I can implement your critique... do cohesive lines come over time? Can you practice that specifically? If any of you guys have tips, please send 'em my way ;)

Hello yuyugli! Thanks to you for your comment, too. It means a lot to me that you already saw improvement in this sketchbook.
You seem to have a really good eye: Now that you mentioned it, I focus more on proportions with photo studies and more on painting with art studies, I will mix it up in the future :)
Edges and values are totally vital, so the other two tips will be valuable as well.

Now, here's my progress on the Rembrandt:
Ohne Titel-106.jpg

I tried gouache this week! Fun times.
DSC_0070.JPG

DSC_0071.JPG

Also, I did this:
Ohne Titel-108_alt.png

Have a great week :)

I would say yes. The more you do it the better you get and the more confident you are in using one stroke. I would say to just try using as few strokes per drawing as you can. The more you do that the more the lines will become more cohesive and less sketchy if that makes any sense.

Also I love that Karane piece jaja. Plus your Rembrandt is coming along very well, great job!
Art is a BANG!!

Postby Wb_draws » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:28 pm

Wb_draws

fi_le wrote:Hi Zuben, thanks for the feedback! I'm very happy that you like what I do. I wonder how I can implement your critique... do cohesive lines come over time? Can you practice that specifically? If any of you guys have tips, please send 'em my way

For me doing timed drawings with short amount of time helped to improve my line quality. For example 1-2 min figure poses from Croquis cafe youtube channel. When you have so little time you are forced to do as little lines as possible (because sratchy lines takes longer to draw) .

I also heard that using some permanent medium like ink helps, but I havent tried it yet.

Hope it helps ;)

Postby jobenjo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:22 pm

jobenjo

Hey man, your stuff is really cool, your faces are really realistic and the skill you have really shows.
I also like how you draw a solid amount of practice and study, as well as a solid amount of interesting and fun ones!
I'll throw in my two cents about line quality as well, just because nobody has mentioned the site that I've been referred to everywhere, Drawabox. If you haven't tried it already, its pretty sweet. My lines aren't perfect but they sure have improved from those exercises

I don't know though, your style feels like it benefits from these short fast lines I really think it goes with the way you colour things. So I dont really know if its a priority haha. (for another person who I think pulls off quick lines like these on this site look for alpacky, you remind me of him lol)
and yeah I second yugugly who wants to see how good you are when you are 18, all of this is really promising! I'm definetly gunna keep an eye on this SB
Hope you're having fun drawing, or whatever it is ya do!
My Sketchbook is here: viewtopic.php?t=79758

Postby fi_le » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:11 am

fi_le

Another week has passed...

Hi jobenjo,
thanks a lot for the compliment! I love alpacky's work a lot, so I don't mind the association at all ;)
About DrawABox, I've seen it before and looked at some of the exercises and most of them are a little bit too techinical for me. But you are definitely right, they would improve my lines, probably. Since you said it doesn't seem to be a priority from your point of view, I can be relieved about that :)

Heyo Wb!
I don't do figure drawing as much anymore, but it does help a lot. As for the permanent medium, I work in that anyways these days, so I have hope of it getting better after all :D

Hello again, Zuben :)
I actually tried to lessen the amount of strokes I use for this week, learning from the master in that field, John Singer-Sargent. Here's the result:

DSC_0077_alt.JPG
Oh boy, do I love the original... (https://uploads3.wikiart.org/images/john-singer-sargent/emily-sargent.jpg)

Wow, this is wildly inaccurate. Anyways, the purpose of it wasn't a exact replica.
Well, most importantly, thank you all a lot for stopping by!

OK, in fact, this is the only other thing I painted this week. Next week, I'll probably show some more drawings.
Ohne Titel-109.png
A really messy expiriment in digital.

Have a great day :)

Postby fi_le » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:55 am

fi_le

Hi!

I did some drawings this week, but they weren't exactly... good. Well, here are the best two:

Ohne Titel-110_alt.png
Six portrait experiments

DSC_0074_alt.JPG
More wierdness

And that's it again. Bye!

Postby Josephcow » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:07 am

Josephcow

Nice pen sketches! keep it up!

Postby fi_le » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:55 am

fi_le

First of all, hi Joseph!
It's really cool that you showed up here; I adore your art :)
There aren't any pen things on here this time around though, I worked in digital for a bit.

Which brings me to the fact that I did some studies of the paintings on this forum! They aren't exactly.... exact, but that wasn't their purpose anyways. I wanted to get some ideas and then implement them in something I came up with.
Ohne Titel-111_alt.png
This is an Inkey study. You're great, inkster!
Ohne Titel-112.png
And this was originally yours, Joseph :)

Ohne Titel-113_alt.png
This is mine!

OK, that's it. Have a nice day, you all!

Postby fi_le » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:22 pm

fi_le

Alright, I'll just throw this here...
Ohne Titel-114_2.png
A study of an antique (?) sculpture.
Ohne Titel-114_1.jpg
A random portrait, trying to encorporate what I learned in the one before :)

A great day to you all!

Postby Spider » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Spider

You're improving! Keep painting and drawing to gain a steadier hand, maybe even do some warm ups of just long lines and circles, if you're not already. It feels a little pointless but it helps. :D

Postby Alpacky » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:38 pm

Alpacky

Agreed ^

The girl in the tan coat/cloak is really nice design wise
and the sculpture study is, just stunning.. o-o

Great work :o
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:08 am

Ambiguity

That Rembrandt study is coming along nicely; you should put that kind of time into one of your personal pieces too, see how far you can push it.

Postby fi_le » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:24 pm

fi_le

Hmmmm, I'm not sure wether the one-week-rythm is the right choice; I always feel like answering your comments right away! Anyways, now I can knock myself out:

Hey Spider, I think we all know how nice it feels to hear that one's improving, but I gotta accentuate it again. Thanks a lot! I'm always too undiciplined to stay at ellipses and circles as long as nessesary, but putting them on boxes has made it a little easier to follow through a bit more. Do you actually do the ellipses thing before you draw?

Hi Alpacky! Yes the sculpture was quite the lucky punch, I'm quite proud of him. However, the comment on my orange experiment cloak girl means a lot to me, cause I adore your shapes and colours a lot. Have I told you that in your sketchbook? If not, know that I adore your shapes and colours a lot.

Yo, Amiguity! Putting the same amount of time into original work has been on my painting agenda, but I really have to force myself through it if I try. You're so right though! Maybe the stone guy below would have been a good canidate?

OK, now over to the sad part, namely that I was in Italy this week and haven't done a thing basically. But wait, Plottwist! I prepared a fruit bowl painting!! I can't get over the fact that I planned a whole week ahead...
DSC_2222.JPG
Tadaa!

Have a nice week!

Postby NikolasWild » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:31 am

NikolasWild

Nice sketchbook fi_le:)
you definitely improved a lot
keep it up:)

Postby Steeliebob » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Steeliebob

this one is exceptional:

Spoiler: show

Postby fi_le » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:43 pm

fi_le

Hi Steelie, thanks for the compliment! I might do another one if it seems to help me like that, I guess it did exercise my planes-of-the-face game a lot. The guy or the gal I'd love to talk to is the one who actually carves these beasts. I tried to do a face with clay in art class and... well... you know let's not talk about that one. Anyways, with marble you really only have one go, so I guess you do have to be Michelangelo or something to get a masterpiece like that one. Has anyone tried traditional sculpting with stone here?

Well, just a quick word about more 2D shenanigans:
I did a really quick sunset study. It doesn't work at all up close, but I find it convincing enough if it's far away ;)
Ohne Titel-115_alt.png
It was a surprise to me that you can't see the base of the rock in the reflection...

Also, I painted a photo study in gouache and I really need your help on this, kind of. I know it's wrong, but I don't know what exactly and how to fix it, so if you have a tip on this, please share it with me :)
DSC_0082.JPG
Send help, she's dying!

(By the way, while editing I found that the 46 by 50 pixels version does indeed match the definition of photorealistic on the back of a game from 1985, but I think that's the case with every combination of pixels in that size so it kinda doesn't count
DSC_0082_pixwel++.JPG
)
Have an awesome week!

Postby fi_le » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:53 pm

fi_le

Ah, an interesting week has passed. Here's the work:

Ohne Titel-117.png
A little whatever thing.
Ohne Titel-118.png
Andrew Loomis study!
Ohne Titel-119.png
Low resolution!

Ohne Titel-121_alt.png
More Andrew Loomis! Boy, do I love this guy...

And there we have it! Marvellous!! See you next week and best regards :)
Last edited by fi_le on Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby fi_le » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:56 pm

fi_le

Hi!

I'm a bit late week, so I'll hurry again:
Ohne Titel-123_alt.png
A portrait from photo!
Ohne-Titel-124_alt.png
A portrait from imagination!
Ohne-Titel-125_alt.png
Another one! Kinda... muppetish...

Oh boy, a lot of girls! I should change things up again :)
A good week to you all!

Postby fi_le » Fri May 04, 2018 12:48 pm

fi_le

Heyo, I'm a bit late again!
Tomatoes are really nice to start painting. If you're picking up painting I'd really recommend doing one of those first. The pickle texture was made with pencil and enhanced with Corel Thing™
Also, an owl from reference visits this sketchbook :)

I have some more stuff, but I'll have to get it first. I'm going to be back soon...
For now I wish you a great day though!

Edit: Fixed BBCode wierdness
IMG_20180428_130941_599.jpg
Boom!
DSC_0092_alt.JPG
Here's an owl.

Postby fi_le » Sun May 06, 2018 3:46 pm

fi_le

Here are the promised sketches ;) They are both photo studies of people, I won't say of who exactly because that would probably be quite embaressing. If you're brave you can try and guess

DSC_0098_alt.JPG

Wierdly, everone draws her.

DSC_0099_alt.JPG

This likeness is very very off and the editing has absolutely destroyed it, but I like how it looks on paper. Well, that's how it goes sometimes :)
Bye!

Postby Steeliebob » Sun May 06, 2018 11:46 pm

Steeliebob

oh nice work. really like the owl.

Your scribble style is a lot of fun.

Postby Plumbum » Mon May 07, 2018 4:22 pm

Plumbum

You have a really good point with the tomatoes, I'm definitely going to try that when I start painting. Your tomato also looks really good!

Your portraits are coming along nicely. What kind of art sources are you using for your studies?
We have DID (the thing Sycra has).

Quick summary of forum writers:
Artist: she is mainly the one who draws.
Writer: he is usually the one who writes on the forum.
Lawyer: he studies everything, honestly.
Real names are private.

Sketchbook: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14540

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook