Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby fi_le » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:24 pm

fi_le

Subject title: Fi_le's sketchbook

Hmmmm, I'm not sure wether the one-week-rythm is the right choice; I always feel like answering your comments right away! Anyways, now I can knock myself out:

Hey Spider, I think we all know how nice it feels to hear that one's improving, but I gotta accentuate it again. Thanks a lot! I'm always too undiciplined to stay at ellipses and circles as long as nessesary, but putting them on boxes has made it a little easier to follow through a bit more. Do you actually do the ellipses thing before you draw?

Hi Alpacky! Yes the sculpture was quite the lucky punch, I'm quite proud of him. However, the comment on my orange experiment cloak girl means a lot to me, cause I adore your shapes and colours a lot. Have I told you that in your sketchbook? If not, know that I adore your shapes and colours a lot.

Yo, Amiguity! Putting the same amount of time into original work has been on my painting agenda, but I really have to force myself through it if I try. You're so right though! Maybe the stone guy below would have been a good canidate?

OK, now over to the sad part, namely that I was in Italy this week and haven't done a thing basically. But wait, Plottwist! I prepared a fruit bowl painting!! I can't get over the fact that I planned a whole week ahead...
DSC_2222.JPG
Tadaa!

Have a nice week!

Postby NikolasWild » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:31 am

NikolasWild

Nice sketchbook fi_le:)
you definitely improved a lot
keep it up:)

Postby Steeliebob » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Steeliebob

this one is exceptional:

Spoiler: show

Postby fi_le » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:43 pm

fi_le

Hi Steelie, thanks for the compliment! I might do another one if it seems to help me like that, I guess it did exercise my planes-of-the-face game a lot. The guy or the gal I'd love to talk to is the one who actually carves these beasts. I tried to do a face with clay in art class and... well... you know let's not talk about that one. Anyways, with marble you really only have one go, so I guess you do have to be Michelangelo or something to get a masterpiece like that one. Has anyone tried traditional sculpting with stone here?

Well, just a quick word about more 2D shenanigans:
I did a really quick sunset study. It doesn't work at all up close, but I find it convincing enough if it's far away ;)
Ohne Titel-115_alt.png
It was a surprise to me that you can't see the base of the rock in the reflection...

Also, I painted a photo study in gouache and I really need your help on this, kind of. I know it's wrong, but I don't know what exactly and how to fix it, so if you have a tip on this, please share it with me :)
DSC_0082.JPG
Send help, she's dying!

(By the way, while editing I found that the 46 by 50 pixels version does indeed match the definition of photorealistic on the back of a game from 1985, but I think that's the case with every combination of pixels in that size so it kinda doesn't count
DSC_0082_pixwel++.JPG
)
Have an awesome week!

Postby fi_le » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:53 pm

fi_le

Ah, an interesting week has passed. Here's the work:

Ohne Titel-117.png
A little whatever thing.
Ohne Titel-118.png
Andrew Loomis study!
Ohne Titel-119.png
Low resolution!

Ohne Titel-121_alt.png
More Andrew Loomis! Boy, do I love this guy...

And there we have it! Marvellous!! See you next week and best regards :)
Last edited by fi_le on Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby fi_le » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:56 pm

fi_le

Hi!

I'm a bit late week, so I'll hurry again:
Ohne Titel-123_alt.png
A portrait from photo!
Ohne-Titel-124_alt.png
A portrait from imagination!
Ohne-Titel-125_alt.png
Another one! Kinda... muppetish...

Oh boy, a lot of girls! I should change things up again :)
A good week to you all!

Postby fi_le » Fri May 04, 2018 12:48 pm

fi_le

Heyo, I'm a bit late again!
Tomatoes are really nice to start painting. If you're picking up painting I'd really recommend doing one of those first. The pickle texture was made with pencil and enhanced with Corel Thing™
Also, an owl from reference visits this sketchbook :)

I have some more stuff, but I'll have to get it first. I'm going to be back soon...
For now I wish you a great day though!

Edit: Fixed BBCode wierdness
IMG_20180428_130941_599.jpg
Boom!
DSC_0092_alt.JPG
Here's an owl.

Postby fi_le » Sun May 06, 2018 3:46 pm

fi_le

Here are the promised sketches ;) They are both photo studies of people, I won't say of who exactly because that would probably be quite embaressing. If you're brave you can try and guess

DSC_0098_alt.JPG

Wierdly, everone draws her.

DSC_0099_alt.JPG

This likeness is very very off and the editing has absolutely destroyed it, but I like how it looks on paper. Well, that's how it goes sometimes :)
Bye!

Postby Steeliebob » Sun May 06, 2018 11:46 pm

Steeliebob

oh nice work. really like the owl.

Your scribble style is a lot of fun.

Postby Plumbum » Mon May 07, 2018 4:22 pm

Plumbum

You have a really good point with the tomatoes, I'm definitely going to try that when I start painting. Your tomato also looks really good!

Your portraits are coming along nicely. What kind of art sources are you using for your studies?
We have DID (the thing Sycra has).

Quick summary of forum writers:
Artist: she is mainly the one who draws.
Writer: he is usually the one who writes on the forum.
Lawyer: he studies everything, honestly.
Real names are private.

Sketchbook: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14540

Postby fi_le » Sun May 13, 2018 6:33 am

fi_le

Hi Mr.Steeliebob, thanks for stoppin' by! It's interesting that you described it as "scribble style" whereas for me it's just kind of how I do it. Is that a good or a bad thing? :b

Hi Plumbum, I'm glad you took the advice with the tomatoes to heart! For the images of people, I have a super sophisticated method: I type random first names into Bing ;) I know, I know, it's not very professional but it works...

And these are what I did during the week:
Ohne Titel-128_alt.png

This is a study of a painting by RossDraws, whose videos I honestly don't like too much. Still, the original painting is really awesome! I don't know if I can link to it because I bet it's like copyrighted. I've never understood copyright. Back the topic at hand, I think I should mention that maybe I'm not finished yet because it's actually pretty far from the original.

Ohne Titel-129_alt.png

I have a bit of a question for you guys: Is any of the stuff I do here creative or unique? Because I feel like it really isn't at all! I mean, I give it my all, but I always feel like I've seen it somewhere...

Ohne Titel-129_alt2.png

Funny faces! Real humdinger to paint :)

And that's it again. Have a nice week!

Postby cicakkia » Mon May 14, 2018 7:16 am

cicakkia

fi_le wrote:I have a bit of a question for you guys: Is any of the stuff I do here creative or unique? Because I feel like it really isn't at all! I mean, I give it my all, but I always feel like I've seen it somewhere...

I think somehow you draw from your imagination you kinda lost for what you want suppose to do. Although it is good thing to copy from master painting or photo to study how it work, you still need to know what exactly you learn from copying. Like how exact the light works, how soft edge and hard edge work, etc. Try learn more on observation as you draw. It will help you to create something creative and unique later on your drawing :)

Postby Steeliebob » Mon May 21, 2018 10:13 pm

Steeliebob

don't worry to much about being super unique or anything. I think I see some of your own handwriting in there.
Just focus on learning new things and refining old things you already know.
People have been saying I have an own style but I can't see it. So I guess it's just how it is and will develop over time.
More like an accumulation of the techniques, shape language, color sense etc. that works for you than anything else.

Also your Ross study looks really nice. :)

Previous

Return to Sketchbook