Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Mystipen » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:27 am

Mystipen

Subject title: Mystipen's Artistic Journey

Hey, Peter. Thank you for your kind comments :D

It might seem like I have a specific direction I am going, but in reality I am trying to create a pathway instead, because I started getting sick lately of relying on advice of other artists that might not work. So this journey of mine is more of a sentiment of preferring to die on my own sword rather than somebody else's. Though, I am glad that it seems to make my sketchbook more meaningful because that is definitely the goal.

I am already in 4th year of art and by now I expected myself to be able to do illustrations at a higher level given that I did follow the advice of studying art the "proper" way, but at this point I have no ability to do so. I am trying to be as experimental and open about my journey so that others can benefit from it, because quite honestly, I do not even think professionals know how they to the point where they could draw to the degree they do. I also got fed up from professionals constantly bashing on other people not working hard enough which is why their skill level is not improving, but in reality most people want to do the work and are doing their best to put in as much time as possible.

Also, since you made a comment I might as well share some of the points I am going to make in the video. My current position on how to practice effectively is to do project-based practices. This basically means that you think of a project you want to do, figure out which skills are needed to pull it off, and practice anything related to the project. For example, if I wanted to draw a fate fan art illustration, I would need to learn the design of the character that I want to draw, I would need to know some anatomical shapes and proportions depending on how much of the character I want to draw, and improve my rendering skills depending on whether I want to paint the character or not. Then, I would just practice with that focus in mind.

The potential benefit of such an approach is that it gives you the fruit of your labor rather than making you run in the hamster wheel 24/7 grinding endlessly. There is one implication to just studying anatomy, perspective, rendering, etc. without a set goal to produce something, and that is memory. Lets say you memorized the anatomy of the human figure, for you to be able to maintain that memory even though it was recorded in your long-term memory, you would need to basically constantly practice the entire anatomy over and over again to keep it fresh. If you do not maintain the freshness of the information, your memory will start fading and potentially get distorted as time passes. The goal of learning something and having it stored in your long-term memory is so that you can easily re-learn it in the future.

This is exactly why when you learned something in school in the past but have forgotten it, when you try to recall the information you forgot 5 years in the future you will have a hard time doing so and even if you do it might get distorted, but if you decide to open the textbook and review the information you will immediately pick it up without problem. Which brings me to the pint that learning every single aspect of the human figure, or any fundamental is a waste of time unless you use it immediately. If you are not going to use what you have learned, then you will forget it and will have to relearn it in the future. There are many professionals that still consult with reference about human anatomy even though they have presumably studied it in their art schools. Even, Proko an artistic anatomy expert draws from references and can not draw from imagination almost at all. So, why waste 5-10 years studying something before you allow yourself the freedom to create anything meaningful? It's not worth it.

This was the goal of doing the hand sketches, it was to figure out whether I can learn to draw hands anatomically correct. To me, an anatomically correct drawing is one that has accurate proportions and correct joint articulation. The amount of detail you add to the secondary and tertiary forms do not really matter, no one was is going to praise me for rendering a hyper-realistic hand nor is rendering something to that degree even compostionally beneficial. Many artists such as Ruan Jia, Wlop, and Krenz Cushart leave out anatomical details and keep them rather simple instead, the only thing they maintain is the overall shape that the group of muscles create and the proper proportions.

I also had another side goal that was about trying to see whether construction drawing is necessary to get something to look 3D and be able to draw from imagination, and as I figured out, it isn't a requirement. The only thing in my opinion that is necessary to draw from imagination is using any technique that lets you get your idea on paper quickly, using construction drawing from the start sets you up for failure because it makes you focus on the perspective, not the idea. So, you are essentially committing too early before you know how the drawing will turn out. You also do not need to use the construction method of drawing to create 3D sketches, the technique was developed to skip having to render the subject to get a 3D look, but you can also instead of rendering simply use a basic shape for the shadows to indicate the 3D of the forms. There are many ways to go about solving the problem of making your subject look 3D and most of them rely on understanding of the theoretical concepts of perspective in an intimate manner.

Those are the three points I am going to cover in my video, to be honest making videos is hard work. My mouth always ends up drying when I am speaking and it is not a pleasant experience to say the least, especially when you are not planning on scripting the videos and doing edits since they take a lot of time to do. I am going to try and work my way towards doing a bigger project where there are actual figures in the painting than just a simple pose of a hand, so look forward to my future posts. I am trying to break a lot of barriers and gray areas when it comes to learning this skill as I believe that there is no such thing as a "right" way to learn to draw, there are only efficient and inefficient ways and my goal is to find the efficient ones.

Hope you find this little reading interesting, just wanted to share some more thoughts about this to potentially help me re calibrate what I am going to say in the video.

Postby Mystipen » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:50 pm

Mystipen

Finally released my newest video talking about efficient studying methods. It is a bit long, so for those who don't have the time, I made a summary in my comment section. Although, I do highly encourage watching the video for more context. Forgive my constant "uh's" and "okay's", my speaking skills are a bit rusty XD

Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpbOHxBNhKQ&t=2s

Previous

Return to Sketchbook