Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

 

Postby geryes » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:47 am

User avatar
  geryes
Posts: 847
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:48 pm

Subject title: The frivolous hand of Telepurte

Amazing sketches as usual bruh. I also like all the boobie practice sketches too >:^). Do you watch Game Grumps and/or Game Grumps Animated videos? Just to give you a direction for some fun animation :)

Example below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ5xHcnTcKI
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

 

Postby Telepurte » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:36 am

User avatar
  Telepurte
Posts: 636
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Bugpal Hopeday wrote:Thanks, that's good to hear that CSP is considered good for that kind of work. As for the limbs, I was referring to the curved way that you draw them, as well as getting the apex of a motion and pushing it so that it's very clear what the action is!

Thank you! I will experiment more with that in the future and continue to try do animation studies of movement intense stuff.

wannabe wrote:Would not comment on everything, that will take quite long, 4sure. In short, vigorously and fluid.
Can't withhold laughs from the angles and expressions of recent gif.

Thank you wanna!
I'm glad to bring a smile to you. Is there anything you think I should do better?

Inkey wrote:Sweet stuff as always. You're. Making. Me. Wanna. Do. Animation. You crazy man!

Well, heckin' do it then lol
Make some animation, it doesn't have to be good.

geryes wrote:Amazing sketches as usual bruh. I also like all the boobie practice sketches too >:^). Do you watch Game Grumps and/or Game Grumps Animated videos? Just to give you a direction for some fun animation :)

Example below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ5xHcnTcKI

Thanks!
I've seen some of GG's stuff but I've never really delved into it much. Maybe I'll do something similar in the future but for now I'm just gonna sit in self pity and lostness as to what and why I do.

Here are some things:

Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Just an emotional rant. read right column first.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


And anims
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Thanks for taking a look and thanks for commenting, y'all
See you later probably.
Hey, before you keep browsin', check my art out if you haven't already!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17763
http://telepurte.deviantart.com/

 

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:57 am

  DarkLored123
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:18 pm

Love how fluid your animations are, keep up the good work.

 

Postby wannabe » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:31 am

User avatar
  wannabe
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:00 am

Telepurte wrote:Is there anything you think I should do better?


As touching of a subject of a technique or content i am a wrong person that should give any advise/remarks (skill gap).
But what concerns ranting self-analysis - too much is never all good.
Do not know to whom this is adressed and what's the details, but treating others as treating thyself is a concept.
Which is anyhow helps to withold the world we live from spinning out into total mayhem :).
Noone tells you that person would treat you the same, that is only implied, and depends of which moral principles a person is guided on.
moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart
Would appreciate your views on what is not right with my work rather than what is right.
(The more honestly the better)

 

Postby Peteman22 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:19 pm

User avatar
  Peteman22
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:21 pm

Hey Telepurte,

Holy cheese balls this is a lot of work. I like the, not sure how to put it, cartoony solidness, everything has. And those animations! How long do they take/ how many images do you usually end up drawing for one?

As far as issues with critiquing goes, It can be difficult on a forum like this where there's a considerable variance in skill level. That plus a lot of us are amateurs with no formal instruction so we're kind of not really sure what we're doing. (Not everyone of course.) So critiquing someone's work can be difficult, i.e. either the other person is better than you are or maybe you can see something is wrong but you're not quite sure what it is. This can lead to misunderstandings by either party. Or maybe the artist is young, so they easily get upset at negative feedback. This isn't a reason to stop giving feedback, you just need to be careful in your wording. And if they don't take it it's their loss. I think you are right in saying, "Do unto other's as you would have them do unto you," doesn't work because other's don't want the same thing as you do. (I'd never thought of that before, I think it's kind of profound.) But in life, "You scratch my back I'll scratch yours," does. You just need to find people who do want the same things.

In any case if you want better critiques you may want to try heading over to http://www.conceptart.org/forums/ as there's a greater amount of people whose sole intention is to become a professional artist, so you might be able to get better critiques there.

So all that said. My thoughts. I do notice your doing quite a lot of everything. You could try more focus on one thing - e.g anatomy, proportions, perspective etc. I know it can be boring, but I think it can help to have a specific goal in mind. It gives you a better ruler against which to measure your progress. "First I didn't understand how to do this specific thing, and now I do." (Apologies if you've mentioned you do have a specific goal on previous page - you've got a lot of them.) However, you do seem to have gotten pretty far doing things your way, so it's just a suggestion.

Have a nice day. :D
What are you doing? Stop browsing the forum and get drawing.

Just visit my sketchbook first:

http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37212 Come say hello!

 

Postby Moe » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:41 pm

User avatar
  Moe
Posts: 1127
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:16 am

Well, for critique, I'll give you the same critique that I give myself, which is pretty much, slowing down lol. Most of your paintings and drawings seem rough, and I think what will push your work to the next level would be to take your time especially with the paintings. I've seen artists on here who spend days even weeks on the same painting and they get really good results. Overtime, you'll get faster and you'll be able to crank out those 6 hour paintings in half the time or a third of the time. Whatever you decide to do, keep it up man.
Yolo

 

Postby Telepurte » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:33 pm

User avatar
  Telepurte
Posts: 636
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:02 pm

DarkLored123 wrote:Love how fluid your animations are, keep up the good work.

Thank you! I'll try keep it up.

wannabe wrote:
As touching of a subject of a technique or content i am a wrong person that should give any advise/remarks (skill gap).
But what concerns ranting self-analysis - too much is never all good.
Do not know to whom this is adressed and what's the details, but treating others as treating thyself is a concept.
Which is anyhow helps to withold the world we live from spinning out into total mayhem :).
Noone tells you that person would treat you the same, that is only implied, and depends of which moral principles a person is guided on.

Hey, you have eyes, you can see things that I cannot see. Even if what you see is an interpretation, it is a valuable thing for me to keep into account.
Artistic ability has nothing to do with being able to give good feedback.

The rant wasn't for anyone on the sycra forums, just someone on twitter who has seemingly opposite ideas on feedback which can be summed up as "You have to be better than me to give me meaningful feedback" which is stupid in my opinion.
I'm very thankful that you took the time to write this.

Peteman22 wrote:Hey Telepurte,

Holy cheese balls this is a lot of work. I like the, not sure how to put it, cartoony solidness, everything has. And those animations! How long do they take/ how many images do you usually end up drawing for one?

As far as issues with critiquing goes, It can be difficult on a forum like this where there's a considerable variance in skill level. That plus a lot of us are amateurs with no formal instruction so we're kind of not really sure what we're doing. (Not everyone of course.) So critiquing someone's work can be difficult, i.e. either the other person is better than you are or maybe you can see something is wrong but you're not quite sure what it is. This can lead to misunderstandings by either party. Or maybe the artist is young, so they easily get upset at negative feedback. This isn't a reason to stop giving feedback, you just need to be careful in your wording. And if they don't take it it's their loss. I think you are right in saying, "Do unto other's as you would have them do unto you," doesn't work because other's don't want the same thing as you do. (I'd never thought of that before, I think it's kind of profound.) But in life, "You scratch my back I'll scratch yours," does. You just need to find people who do want the same things.

In any case if you want better critiques you may want to try heading over to http://www.conceptart.org/forums/ as there's a greater amount of people whose sole intention is to become a professional artist, so you might be able to get better critiques there.

So all that said. My thoughts. I do notice your doing quite a lot of everything. You could try more focus on one thing - e.g anatomy, proportions, perspective etc. I know it can be boring, but I think it can help to have a specific goal in mind. It gives you a better ruler against which to measure your progress. "First I didn't understand how to do this specific thing, and now I do." (Apologies if you've mentioned you do have a specific goal on previous page - you've got a lot of them.) However, you do seem to have gotten pretty far doing things your way, so it's just a suggestion.

Have a nice day. :D

Hey pete! First of all, super thanks for taking all the time to write this, I absolutely appreciate it.
I usually take between one and two hours to make the animations I usually make, and the amount of drawings can vary between 30 and 50 drawings per 100 frames (because I like working on twos and threes).

Yeah I understand. You make some good points, especially with the thing about misunderstandings.

How do you set a good specific goal?
I don't usually have a goal, and when I do it's the kind of "Oh God, they told me I need a goal so I guess I gotta have one" which is usually a goal just for the sake of having a goal, not for the sake of achieving something.

Moe wrote:Well, for critique, I'll give you the same critique that I give myself, which is pretty much, slowing down lol. Most of your paintings and drawings seem rough, and I think what will push your work to the next level would be to take your time especially with the paintings. I've seen artists on here who spend days even weeks on the same painting and they get really good results. Overtime, you'll get faster and you'll be able to crank out those 6 hour paintings in half the time or a third of the time. Whatever you decide to do, keep it up man.


Thanks moe! I think you're right. I don't have any paintings that I've spent more than 3 hours on. I think I will take more time on what I do.
I get antsy when I'm doing something slowly because I have less stuff to show, but I have to remind myself that me making less stuff doesn't mean I'm doing less.


thanks everyone!
I'll get back with some art next time I say anything
Hey, before you keep browsin', check my art out if you haven't already!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17763
http://telepurte.deviantart.com/

 

Postby geryes » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:52 pm

User avatar
  geryes
Posts: 847
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:48 pm

Great stuff as usual! I see a lot of sketches, and I do mean a lot. Just not a lot of direction anywhere. I know you have been struggling and wondering what you want to do with all this and where you want to go, but i think it's still great that you practice anyway.

I'm glad you've seen Game grumps too :) Really wanted you to see more of the animated stuff. A lot of people don't know what to animate so they take audio from something and reinterpret it in an animation which seems fun to do :). You can also keep them short too, like the animation you did where it starts off saying "man I don't want to animate", but you still made it fun :D.

Have you ever dabbled in after effects? Not that you need to use that program but I stumbled on an animator that has some of the same bounciness as your animations. Hope you like it and keep up the great work!

Spoiler: show
Image
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

 

Postby wannabe » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:19 pm

User avatar
  wannabe
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:00 am

@Peteman22, totally agree. For me for example art is a tool that helps to keep sanity. Maybe, with practice it would become something bigger/maybe not. But a process itself worth it.

@Tele, in the first place you're making a tremendous amount of various work (which is iterative sketching of e-very-thing, painting, animation, etc). Honestly, i don't know what you should do better, you understand the core principles of volume, overall anatomy, coloring, do not making silly amateur mistakes after all, practicing frantically, and even having own unique style.
Maybe to thoroughly study classic's works, despite that this is boring, though helps to switch and down the pace .

Telepurte wrote:I get antsy when I'm doing something slowly because I have less stuff to show, but I have to remind myself that me making less stuff doesn't mean I'm doing less.


A-ha. Then, maybe to change a priority from showing much stuff to apply what you already capable of in some area (like join a studio that makes toons/illustration/comics/varia).
moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart
Would appreciate your views on what is not right with my work rather than what is right.
(The more honestly the better)

 

Postby Peteman22 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:56 pm

User avatar
  Peteman22
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:21 pm

Telepurte wrote:How do you set a good specific goal?
I don't usually have a goal, and when I do it's the kind of "Oh God, they told me I need a goal so I guess I gotta have one" which is usually a goal just for the sake of having a goal, not for the sake of achieving something.


Well the question to ask yourself is, why do you want to get better at drawing? What do you enjoy? From that a goal appears. Do you want to make comics, become an animator, concept artist, get better just for the sake of getting better? There's no *right* answer, so long as it's an honest one to yourself. Depending on what the your answer is, a different course of action would be required. e.g. Character designer - draw a whole bunch of characters + learn about clothing, props, painting skin, etc.

Naturally, "I want to get better just for the sake of getting better/ I want to do everything equally", is also a valid answer. In which case I'd suggest looking at your own work, consider what you deem to be the weakest aspect of it and tackle that head on. Find information on it, buy a book, draw a lot. Of course in the process of this you may think to yourself, "I really don't enjoy this, I'd rather be drawing XYZ," Then you've found a more specific goal and move on and draw XYZ.

Picking a goal isn't an end in itself but a tool to focus your learning.The base line is always just draw, draw whatever you want. Don't feel pressured into picking a goal because a random schmuck on the internet says you should.
What are you doing? Stop browsing the forum and get drawing.

Just visit my sketchbook first:

http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37212 Come say hello!

 

Postby fi_le » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:55 pm

User avatar
  fi_le
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:15 pm

Oh wow, these animations are so lively! Good job :)

 

Postby Telepurte » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:23 am

User avatar
  Telepurte
Posts: 636
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:02 pm

geryes wrote:Great stuff as usual! I see a lot of sketches, and I do mean a lot. Just not a lot of direction anywhere. I know you have been struggling and wondering what you want to do with all this and where you want to go, but i think it's still great that you practice anyway.

I'm glad you've seen Game grumps too :) Really wanted you to see more of the animated stuff. A lot of people don't know what to animate so they take audio from something and reinterpret it in an animation which seems fun to do :). You can also keep them short too, like the animation you did where it starts off saying "man I don't want to animate", but you still made it fun :D.

Have you ever dabbled in after effects? Not that you need to use that program but I stumbled on an animator that has some of the same bounciness as your animations. Hope you like it and keep up the great work!

Spoiler: show
Image

I haven't played with after effects but it really does have an appealing style to it!

I've been meaning to grab audio from something then just animating it but I haven't gotten to it.

wannabe wrote:@Peteman22, totally agree. For me for example art is a tool that helps to keep sanity. Maybe, with practice it would become something bigger/maybe not. But a process itself worth it.

@Tele, in the first place you're making a tremendous amount of various work (which is iterative sketching of e-very-thing, painting, animation, etc). Honestly, i don't know what you should do better, you understand the core principles of volume, overall anatomy, coloring, do not making silly amateur mistakes after all, practicing frantically, and even having own unique style.
Maybe to thoroughly study classic's works, despite that this is boring, though helps to switch and down the pace .

Telepurte wrote:I get antsy when I'm doing something slowly because I have less stuff to show, but I have to remind myself that me making less stuff doesn't mean I'm doing less.


A-ha. Then, maybe to change a priority from showing much stuff to apply what you already capable of in some area (like join a studio that makes toons/illustration/comics/varia).

I agree! I think I'll focus less on doing lots and focus more on doing a project something.

Peteman22 wrote:
Telepurte wrote:How do you set a good specific goal?
I don't usually have a goal, and when I do it's the kind of "Oh God, they told me I need a goal so I guess I gotta have one" which is usually a goal just for the sake of having a goal, not for the sake of achieving something.


Well the question to ask yourself is, why do you want to get better at drawing? What do you enjoy? From that a goal appears. Do you want to make comics, become an animator, concept artist, get better just for the sake of getting better? There's no *right* answer, so long as it's an honest one to yourself. Depending on what the your answer is, a different course of action would be required. e.g. Character designer - draw a whole bunch of characters + learn about clothing, props, painting skin, etc.

Naturally, "I want to get better just for the sake of getting better/ I want to do everything equally", is also a valid answer. In which case I'd suggest looking at your own work, consider what you deem to be the weakest aspect of it and tackle that head on. Find information on it, buy a book, draw a lot. Of course in the process of this you may think to yourself, "I really don't enjoy this, I'd rather be drawing XYZ," Then you've found a more specific goal and move on and draw XYZ.

Picking a goal isn't an end in itself but a tool to focus your learning.The base line is always just draw, draw whatever you want. Don't feel pressured into picking a goal because a random schmuck on the internet says you should.

yeah.. it's a tough question to answer..
Thanks for spending the time to write all this!

fi_le wrote:Oh wow, these animations are so lively! Good job :)


hehe thank you <3

Have some sketches!
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Hey, before you keep browsin', check my art out if you haven't already!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17763
http://telepurte.deviantart.com/

 

Postby popsickle » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:55 am

User avatar
  popsickle
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:11 am

HA! these are fantastic, also nice animations! keep it up

 

Postby geryes » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:33 pm

User avatar
  geryes
Posts: 847
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:48 pm

Did that bicep......grow another bicep? .........Awesome.
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

 

Postby maly_ » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:23 pm

User avatar
  maly_
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: DANMARK

Awesome love that you post so many drawings!
Last edited by maly_ on Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get back in the water and swim!" - Jet
"Big shape stops you from having brackdowns later in life" - Seage
"What have you been doing?? YOU'VE BEEN FUCKING PICKING FLOWERS!!!!" - Michael Jones

Tumblr

 

Postby Azy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:05 am

User avatar
  Azy
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:31 am

More great stuff, I always look forward to your posts! I agree with the others and think that a project of some sorts on something that you're interested in may help you out in terms of direction and what not. Looking at the start of your sketchbook and watching you evolve really gives me hope that I can improve as well. Anyways, stay strong and keep it up, from a fellow struggler.
Sketchbook - http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71766
Twitter (Don't really post there, but you can see the stuff I like!) https://twitter.com/AzeoI_

 

Postby Spider » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:19 am

User avatar
  Spider
Posts: 562
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:00 pm

Man I never get tired of looking at your stuff, its so diverse.
Your painting is improving a lot as well :D

Previous

Return to Sketchbook

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Azy and 3 guests