This is where you can find, or volunteer to be, an art mentor, trainer, or mutual study buddy to help you push your art to the next level!

Postby SeaQuenchal » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:23 pm

SeaQuenchal

Subject title: Drawing Heads Study Group

This study group is for those who want to concentrate on drawing the human head. We submit our work and critiques using a Facebook Group (with the privacy setting set to secret so that the posts won't show up on your regular feed; only group members will see them), and we meet in a video conference once a week via Google+ Hangout to draw together in real time. All members are free and encouraged to share their work on the public forum of course to benefit from the help of a wider knowledge-base, but this private group gives us an environment of our own for focus.

Here's how our group works: We read through the Loomis book Drawing the Head and Hands, and submit two daily assignments: one page of choice from the Loomis book which we study and copy directly as a way to learn the method; and one personal drawing which can be of a model from life, self-portrait from mirror, any photo reference of a head, or from imagination. Members should feel free to leave constructive criticism on each piece submitted so we can all benefit. Not everyone can submit drawings every single day for various reasons, but we are encouraged to take advantage of the momentum of the group and work and post as often as possible.

Our next Google+ Hangout is scheduled for Thursday, August 22, at 2:30pm EST. Members can use webcam, screenshare, audio, chat, or any and all of these features.

[Post edited from original on August 2, 2013]
"Every artist was first an amateur." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone." -Lucretius

Check out my sketchbook!
Watch me on deviantART!!
Follow me on Instagram and Twitter!!!

Postby Hayaku_manabi_jin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:52 am

Hayaku_manabi_jin

Eh, do you think you could help me? I would really like it if someone helped me with my head, proportions etc. How would this work though; via google hangout? I'm on summer holidays so anytime really is good for me. Although I'm afraid I won't be able to help you with anything, except from colour (very, very slim chance).

Postby SeaQuenchal » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:33 am

SeaQuenchal

Yeah Hayaku, I think a study-group would be helpful for each of us. The basic idea is that we are setting the time aside for head studies and sharing the knowledge we have with each other, lending support/encouragement, and just to have fun while drawing. We could meet in a google hangout or we could correspond by e-mail, whichever you like. Ideally I'd like to be able to share work freely throughout our study groups, so if you have a tablet or a scanner that would be perfect. What I have in mind for the study group is setting about an hour aside to work on head studies.

Are you free tomorrow (Thursday) around 3:30pm?

Check out my sketchbook!
Watch me on deviantART!!

Postby Hayaku_manabi_jin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:40 am

Hayaku_manabi_jin

your time?

Postby SeaQuenchal » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:42 am

SeaQuenchal

Yeah, sorry, EST.

Check out my sketchbook!
Watch me on deviantART!!

Postby Hayaku_manabi_jin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:45 am

Hayaku_manabi_jin

Yeah that's fine (it was just so I know what time I need to be online and ready for.

My email is:
Nihonokage@gmail.com

Edit: Just so I'm sure, that's the "-5" time zone?

Postby SeaQuenchal » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:58 am

SeaQuenchal

Yeah, that's right.

Check out my sketchbook!
Watch me on deviantART!!

Postby JokaDrawings » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:11 am

JokaDrawings

Can i join in too? In not really into the head atanomy and stuff but I'm sure i can put some of the knowledge of y'all into my cartoon drawings? Please
Deviant art:
http://swagganeedadraw.deviantart.com/
Instagram:
@_girls love_bryan

Postby Hayaku_manabi_jin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:09 am

Hayaku_manabi_jin

JokaDrawings wrote:Can i join in too? In not really into the head atanomy and stuff but I'm sure i can put some of the knowledge of y'all into my cartoon drawings? Please

I have no problem with it.

Postby JokaDrawings » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:43 pm

JokaDrawings

I will we contact each other? cause i have a tablet and follow me on instagram for you can see my artwork
@girlslove_bryanuote="Hayaku_manabi_jin"]
JokaDrawings wrote:Can i join in too? In not really into the head atanomy and stuff but I'm sure i can put some of the knowledge of y'all into my cartoon drawings? Please

I have no problem with it.[/quote]
Deviant art:
Instagram:
@_girls love_bryan

Postby Snakebreath » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Snakebreath

I would love to join your little study group! You can add me on skype (if you have it)

Skypename: rileyhorne2

Postby JokaDrawings » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:41 pm

JokaDrawings

If we can all have a chat on Skype that would be great
Deviant art:
Instagram:
@_girls love_bryan

Postby SeaQuenchal » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:28 pm

SeaQuenchal

Hi JokaDrawings and Snakebreath, it would be great to have you join our study group!

Here's how it works:
We have weekly meetings in Google hangout for about an hour (Hangout rather than Skype because Google has screensharing) to draw and hangout, and just kinda discuss the fundamentals of head proportion. Then we're encouraged to complete daily assignments that we share for crit in email, and talk a little bit about what is and isn't working.

Weekly Google Hangouts meet for roughly an hour and begin at 3:30pm UTC−05:00, aka Eastern Standard Time. As the group grows, the meeting time may have to be adjusted to fit everyone's schedule.

PM me your gmail addresses and I'll fill you in on the rest of the details.

Check out my sketchbook!
Watch me on deviantART!!

Postby AlphaPetra » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:36 pm

AlphaPetra

Hey! :)
I'm interested in participating. However I absolutely don't know when I'm available, cause I decide when I wanna go out or do something at the last minute, so I might not be always there. Also, I live in France (GMT+1) and it is a bit early for me, so I'll have to see with this too (don't bother changing the time of the hangout, most of you live in the US ^^)

So, I'd like to be warned whenever the hangout starts, I'll probably give some one of you my facebook because that's where you'll find me when I'm connected, but I can't tell for sure if I'll participate. (please send me a pm if there's more information to know).

Thanks, I hope I'll be able to share the very little knowledge I have, and progress myself :)

Postby Hayaku_manabi_jin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:58 pm

Hayaku_manabi_jin

@AlphaPetra , I'm from Scotland so the hangout starts at around 8:30, so are you often busy at 9:30pm?

Postby AlphaPetra » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:04 am

AlphaPetra

I'm sleeping ! (if I'm not outside playing tennis) xD or when I wake up at 9 (which is very very rare) I'm not able to be there, awake, in front of my computer, drawing.

I'm not saying I won't try though :) if it's really a good experience I'll probably set my alarm clock earlier, instead of sleeping like a vegetable until 2PM.

Postby Hayaku_manabi_jin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:19 am

Hayaku_manabi_jin

I ment it's starts for me at 8:30pm so it will start for you at 9:30pm. You won't need to set your alarm.

Postby AlphaPetra » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:29 am

AlphaPetra

Oooohh I'm so stupid, I read 8am and 9am ... My bad... so yea nevermind all what I said, I'm dumb, it's perfect for me :)

Postby JokaDrawings » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:33 am

JokaDrawings

SeaQuenchal wrote:Hi JokaDrawings and Snakebreath, it would be great to have you join our study group!

Here's how it works:
We have weekly meetings in Google hangout for about an hour (Hangout rather than Skype because Google has screensharing) to draw and hangout, and just kinda discuss the fundamentals of head proportion. Then we're encouraged to complete daily assignments that we share for crit in email, and talk a little bit about what is and isn't working.

Weekly Google Hangouts meet for roughly an hour and begin at 3:30pm UTC−05:00, aka Eastern Standard Time. As the group grows, the meeting time may have to be adjusted to fit everyone's schedule.

PM me your gmail addresses and I'll fill you in on the rest of the details.

My email is bryanvilorio72@gmail.com
Deviant art:
Instagram:
@_girls love_bryan

Postby SeaQuenchal » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:25 am

SeaQuenchal

The reason I'm asking for group members email addresses is because we share our daily assignments and critiques through email. I don't know if I'm being overly-paranoid, but I don't really recommend posting your email addresses on the public forum here. It just seems to me that you'd potentially get a lot of spam that way, but idk, it's probably not that big of a deal.

AlphaPetra wrote:So yea nevermind all what I said, I'm dumb, it's perfect for me :)

:lol: It's all good haha. I was wondering why you were saying "early." I think it's funny that you thought I'd want to start a meeting at 3:30am though!

Check out my sketchbook!
Watch me on deviantART!!

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:21 am

Ambiguity

SeaQuenchal wrote:I don't know if I'm being overly-paranoid, but I don't really recommend posting your email addresses on the public forum here. It just seems to me that you'd potentially get a lot of spam that way, but idk, it's probably not that big of a deal.

I was actually thinking the same thing, better safe than sorry.

Postby Mooman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:04 am

Mooman

Hey there. I was planning on starting to learn head anatomy, so this is actually really convenient. I am available whenever you guys are. But, generally speaking, I am more available during the afternoons, as I have a bad tendency to over sleep. Why does sleeping have to be so much fun? -_-

Postby SeaQuenchal » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:46 am

SeaQuenchal

Hi Mooman, welcome to our study group! I PMed you a link to our super-secret facebook group page.

Check out my sketchbook!
Watch me on deviantART!!

Postby SplitableInf » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:52 am

SplitableInf

*raises hand* I.... I'm focusing on anatomy right now and I'd like to learn about the anatomy and planes of the face, and I'm available on weekday afternoons as well. :3 If you have room in your group that is ^_^
Somehow I ended up with an instagram??? That's how all the cool kids share their art, right??
https://www.instagram.com/artofamandanp/

Also I have like an art website or something....
https://www.artofamandanp.com/

Postby Hayaku_manabi_jin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:53 am

Hayaku_manabi_jin

SplitableInf wrote:*raises hand* I.... I'm focusing on anatomy right now and I'd like to learn about the anatomy and planes of the face, and I'm available on weekday afternoons as well. :3 If you have room in your group that is ^_^

Yeah there's room., there's always room :D . Can you PM me your e-mail, so I can invite you to the facebook group?

Next

Return to Mentorship, Art Trainers, and Study Buddies