This is where you can find, or volunteer to be, an art mentor, trainer, or mutual study buddy to help you push your art to the next level!

Postby Sinati » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:03 pm

Sinati

Subject title: Study buddy and help with photoshop

Hi ;) My name's Karolina, totally new here and I'm 22. Just as in the topic I'm looking for some study buddies, and someone who can help me to start with photoshop. So far I've been doing most of the things traditionally and I have problems with customizing PS. Here's some of my old drawings
7 - Kopia.jpg
8 - Kopia.jpg
10 - Kopia.jpg
klaun.jpg

Postby schilan » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:24 pm

schilan

Hi! Welcome to the forum ;-)

Uhhm.. I think that I don't have the time to be a serious study buddy, but I just wanted to say that I love your hand-composition!
And my advice..: Do not use photoshop xD xD

Keep up your practice! :D
Last edited by schilan on Sun May 01, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby biosphere » Sun May 01, 2016 3:01 pm

biosphere

schilan wrote:And my advice..: Do not use photoshop xD xD

I'm not the OP, but I'd love to hear your reason for this.

Postby Sinati » Sun May 01, 2016 3:23 pm

Sinati

Thanks ;) I know I still need to get better in traditional drawing, but I want to learn PS really bad since I started watching videos - it gives so much more possibilities than pencil and paper.

Postby schilan » Sun May 01, 2016 6:30 pm

schilan

biosphere wrote:
schilan wrote:And my advice..: Do not use photoshop xD xD

I'm not the OP, but I'd love to hear your reason for this.

Oh, that was more of a joke!
However, the app is full of features that a person who is drawing or painting won't ever use, it makes the program a bit bloated. It's also not really targeted at people who draw or paint, and you can really see that if you compare it with any other "serious" painting application like Corel Painter, SAI or Krita. It may be the industry standard but I sure as hell don't know why. It's far from bad though and most high-quality tutorials are done with PS but you can transport the knowledge gained, to use it in another application. All in all, I am a beginner in PS, so take this info with a grain of salt. ;-)

Postby Fantelle » Sun May 01, 2016 9:01 pm

Fantelle

@Schilan
    I use photoshop and can't imagine myself using any other program. It's very easy to get used to and versatile as
    you can use it for any of your work; photo editing, image bashing, sketching, studying, painting, animating etc.
    It's most likely industry standard because of that versatility. I'm not saying the other programs you suggested are
    bad, but please don't tell someone not to use a program simply because you personally don't like it.

Postby schilan » Sun May 01, 2016 10:38 pm

schilan

Fantelle wrote:
    @Schilan
    I use photoshop and can't imagine myself using any other program. It's very easy to get used to and versatile as
    you can use it for any of your work; photo editing, image bashing, sketching, studying, painting, animating etc.
    It's most likely industry standard because of that versatility. I'm not saying the other programs you suggested are
    bad, but please don't tell someone not to use a program simply because you personally don't like it.

Oh ok...so finally my advice is: Do not not use photoshop, Sinati! Sorry that your sketchbook has this discussion in it now..
I really just made a bad joke and will be more sensitive the next time....
I'm sure you're getting good results with more practice and good advice :)

Postby Sinati » Mon May 02, 2016 3:39 pm

Sinati

That's fine :P and it's not my sketchbook. I was mainly trying to find some1 who'd like to draw with me sometime

Postby ZeroisDead » Mon May 02, 2016 4:47 pm

ZeroisDead

My advice is to play around with it a bit. I also had a bit of a problem getting satisfying results, until I began actually using it for what it can actually do. Although there are many people that would say "don't use it, it's not for drawing" I personally thing that it is very useful for many different things, you just got to have an open mind. Besides, you said you wanted to know.

For example (I know I'm not that good, so just take all of what I show you with a grain of salt):

This was something for a project I had to do and just recently finished.
Spoiler: show

It actually stemmed from a drawing that i had previously did. Here are the steps I took to get that:
First, I did the placements and figure work:

I then went and made darker, clearer lines:

And then I cheated a bit xD
I ended up using the pen tool in Illustrator to make some really smooth lines like I wanted them to be. (Photoshop has this too, but I prefer the one from Illustrator for it's smoother controls.)

I then colored it in Photoshop:

And then threw in a bunch of graphic design techniques because that is sipmly what Im used to using Photoshop for:
Image (yes I know the shading is off. Im planning on fixing that later today)

This is where Photoshop is really great. Because you have absolute control over how much something appears when constructing an image.
Plus using layers makes everything just so easy to control, another example is this drawing I did a while ago:
Here is the base:Image
I then colored the hair:Image
Then shaded:Image

if you notice, i had it on a different layer, just for the sole purpose of being able to make it less visible if I thought it was to dark:

Anyways, these are all just simple things I love about using Photoshop. And probably more of a list of reasons why you should at least try it out.
I actually have some time to be a study buddy if you're interested. But as I said, I am a graphic design student, so the things I do may deviate from what you may be looking for.
Just a simple teen with a focus in graphic art and design.

My sketchbook, if your interested: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18640

Return to Mentorship, Art Trainers, and Study Buddies