This is where you can find, or volunteer to be, an art mentor, trainer, or mutual study buddy to help you push your art to the next level!

Postby areckx » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:10 am

areckx

Subject title: Looking for a coach/trainer/buddy who can work via email

I have a satellite internet connection which is extremely unsuitable for streams. I have unlimited data after midnight GMT-08 but I'd prefer to work through email. I can scan my images(ok... I can take a pic with my iphone and touch it up a bit) or I also use gIMP with a tablet. I can't afford photoshop plus I use Linux on a cheap laptop and deleted the windows partition by mistake when I first installed Archlinux (T_T)

I have been drawing since I was a child, probably 5 or so, but never really sticking with it for too long, though. I would get discouraged about my perceived lack of progress and also I wouldn't know what to draw. I'm reaching 28 this January and this is the second time this year that I've picked up the pencil and started working on my sketchbook again. The first few months of the year I worked constantly on Mark's Drawing Tutorials on youtube, working on very basic techniques, but I'd like to actually draw something other than circles and lines.

I realize it takes time to develop technique, but I'd really like to create characters and settings with my pencil/ink and eventually work with gimp for coloring. There's so many things to draw but I can't seem to come up with anything. I usually just make random marks on the page until something comes up but it gets really sloppy and hard to tell what's going on. I work on perspective a lot, but it just seems like I have no idea how to compose a scene or character from scratch.

I need guidance. I need drills. I need exercises. I need prompts. I need someone to prod me forward when I start to give up. PM me for my email or whatever is most convenient for you to work with that would be low bandwidth. Make sure to post here as well so people know someone has replied. I'm sure there are others who need good mentors and I wouldn't want to keep others in the dark.

I have some of my work on deviantart, which is linked in my signature. I've very recently been doing some lessons from Mark Crilley on youtube(I guess guys named Mark like to make drawing videos?) but I'd like to expand my skills and develop my palette with a wide variety of styles, not just manga, not just realistic, not just abstract, etc.

I am eager and willing to put in the work.
Last edited by areckx on Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sketchbook :: dA

I can't understand why a person will take a year to write a novel when he can easily buy one for a few dollars.
-- Fred Allen

There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein.
-- Red Smith

Postby Moe » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:34 am

Moe

You can find some mentors on schoolism. There is like a drawing fundamentals course that starts in Dec 7 with Thomas Fluharty. You have to pay a pretty penny though. The course is six weeks long. Are you going to improve in those 6 weeks? Probably. Enough to make you a professional artist? Most likely not. You mentioned that you spend a few months drawing, in order to get good at drawing you're going to be spending years... Even "fast talented learners" who draw like 24/7 usually take 3 years from what I've seen.

For guidance on how you can approach drawing, I will recommend watching sycra's video on drawing fundamentals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piKV5nXL-C4.. I'll recommend starting out with proportions and then moving on to gesture/construction/anatomy/values/color/composition etc... Make sure you enjoy the process, and keep doing your manga stuff. If you find yourself studying too much, remember it's okay to take breaks and do fun stuff. After all, that's why we draw, because it's fun right ?

Postby areckx » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:04 am

areckx

Thanks. I have been drawing for many years, I've just taken lots of time off over the years due to frustration. I am not looking to pay any money, I am just looking for someone who can spare their advice via email conversations who can help steer me in the right direction.

Read: I do not wish to spend any money whatsoever. I don't want to waste anyone's time. There are plenty of people who would be more than happy to pay for your services, but I simply cannot afford it. Please, I do not want to waste your time, I will not be convinced to pay for services.

Now, if you are also learning, but want to be a buddy so we can sort of cheer each other on, I am interested in that as well. I would prefer working via email and attachments.

I can't understand why a person will take a year to write a novel when he can easily buy one for a few dollars.
-- Fred Allen

There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein.
-- Red Smith

Postby Gaurav » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:37 am

Gaurav

Hi there, myself GrV and I want to help you cause I have the same problem of Internet. Although I am not a master, I would like to share my experience with you. This is my blog grvart.blogspot.in just check it out. I basically draw with a pencil. Thanks

Postby areckx » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:42 am

areckx

Good stuff! I'll send you a PM with my email.

-- Fred Allen

-- Red Smith

Postby Gaurav » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:20 am

Gaurav

Thanks and I wanna know that what kind of work you do and also the time so we can discuss all these stuff.

Return to Mentorship, Art Trainers, and Study Buddies