This is where you can find, or volunteer to be, an art mentor, trainer, or mutual study buddy to help you push your art to the next level!

Postby Markus Creation » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:02 pm

Markus Creation

Subject title: Want to draw better from Imagination

Hello,
i am looking for someone who is good at drawing without any references.
Someone who once was not able to do that, but learned it,
and now could tell me steps he took to reach that goal.

I am quite okay at drawing from reference, but my drawings from imagination are terrible.
I am already working on it, but if you already did this and maybe have some additional input for me,
than feel free to contact me.

Heres the Sketchbook:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16917

Postby WarriorSlime » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:46 am

WarriorSlime

I am really good at not using reference, however I would still recommend drawing from reference, but I learned from watching a lot of other people draw. After u watch someone draw go draw yourself and try recreating what they drew from memory. I also find drawing as fast and as simple as possible helps. Start with simple forms, use circles and other shapes for objects a body parts and such. That's how I learned at least. Hope it helps

Postby Vixie » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:01 pm

Vixie

Ummm, I was going to write long post, but then I realized that nobody would read that :D So I´ll try to do shorter version! I will tell you how I went about it when learning human legs =)

First I learned how it works, drew a lot from references to internalize all parts of it, how they look from different angles etc. Then I was practicing what I´ve learned, I had a drawing of leg in basic position so I could glance over it when I wasn´t sure. That way you have that object in your visual library and you can do what you want with it - combine, modify, turn around. After some time my work from imagination looked pretty much same as from reference (not that it was anyhow good, but it was on the same lvl, that´s important, right? :D )

You just need to have enough objects in your visual library that you can create what you imagine. Here is important, that when you draw from reference you don´t only copy but really observe given object, get to know it, so when you want to draw it from memory, you can recall how certain parts looked.

Also, you get better at what you train, so you need to do both - drawing from reference and from imagination too. It will take some time to get where you want to be, but it will get better. More things you will know, more things you will be able to create on your own, because you will have more parts to build from =)

Damn, it´s still too long, I´m sorry =(
Hello. How are you? Have a nice Day. I'm socially awkward, sorry.
Sketchbook / Tumblr / deviantArt / Skype - if you'd like to chat: vixie.illustration

Postby z4m97 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:48 pm

z4m97

very simple actually, draw for example a leg, then once youre finished go look for references of it's structure, spot any mistakes youve made, then try again, correcting those mistakes, and repeat...

Postby Markus Creation » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:13 pm

Markus Creation

@ WarriorSlime: thanks for those tips! i try everything of that. in the end it all comes down to: `draw a lot` :D

@ Vixie: thanks for that post, of course it is not too long! the more you write the better!
seems that drawing from imagination is more like drawing from memory. I guess there waits lots of work for me.

@ z4m97: basically you are right, thanks for the post.

Postby Markus Creation » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:49 pm

Markus Creation

I am still working on my Drawing from Imagination.
I made a video about my process, maybe it helps other people to draw better from Imagination, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BJ5mQUhskw

Postby Markus Creation » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:46 pm

Markus Creation

I also made a video about using references in a good way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTrG3NfoCL0

Return to Mentorship, Art Trainers, and Study Buddies