This is where you can find, or volunteer to be, an art mentor, trainer, or mutual study buddy to help you push your art to the next level!

Postby Poindeckster » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:27 pm

Poindeckster

Subject title: Frustrating but Obvious: finding interesting subjects

Hello everyone,

I have seen a lot of posts that already talk about finding inspiration to draw, or getting started, but I wanted to make a post that was a little more specific.

I follow quite a few people (on tumblr mostly) because the subject that they choose are often abstract. Part of it is they are really good with color schemes and painting, but their subject matter seems so diverse. How do you decide what a character should wear? What will the setting (if any) of the piece be? I would love to experiment with styles if I could find more diversity, or rather, learn to HARNESS the diverse inspiration that is around me.

here's an example: Gawki - Bitter Wandering
This subject is eerie! It is an aesthetic that I can totally get behind.

If we look at the artists traditional sketches, we find a similar style: Inktober day 5

Another thing is character designs. Sycra has taught me that if the picture has flow and rythm, it doesnt necessarily have to be anatomical or even correct.

This might be pretty objective to each person when it comes to deciding what they want to draw, or how they figure it out, and that is why I want to ask you all: how do you decide?

hopefully this question benefits more people than just me, and I can clarify if necessary.

p.s. Im assuming that we all know that practice makes perfect here, and that if I experiment by like googling "hairstyles" and draw them then Ill improve, but how do I make my subject matter more interesting?
I stopped showing people my art. Maybe I should.

Postby azarga » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:47 pm

azarga

I'm too stupid to find interesting subjects.
So I just take one thing I'm thinking about the most at that specific moment: arced back, prosthetic arm, two girls in a bed, etc. And I try to sketch it. Then I redo the sketch, because I'm bad. Then I redo it again or redraw parts of it, until it looks somewhat OK to me. If I feel the need, I start adding the surrounding of that object. Flesh, furniture, clothing, room, cup on a desk. I redraw them as necessary. If after some time the whole thing is still interesting for me, I will keep drawing, adding more details. If it is no longer interesting, I just delete the whole thing and maybe start something new.

I realize that this is probably counterproductive, but as I said, I'm too stupid for a more rational approach.
I know it wasn't helpful. Sorry.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby LarryGreenArt » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:50 pm

LarryGreenArt

I dont think I particurlarly think about the subjects I draw. I just start sketching some shapes and find something there.
Sometimes I have the picture in my head already though.

About making more interesting subject matters, I'd recommend increasing your mind's visual library. Look at pictures you are interested in, observe your surroundings etc. Tryna get some inspiration from things you like.
Hope this helps.

Postby Vixie » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:41 pm

Vixie

First things first: I think that you probably placed this thread in wrong topic :roll: more of a Art Questions and Discussion thing, so maybe some of the moderators could move it there.

Now, here is similar thread about coming up with ideas, Ambi shared a link to page with various generators, that can help with coming up with ideas :D

More specifically to your question - how do you decide how the setting is supposed to look, what should your character wear etc. ?
- First step is getting the idea :D People gain ideas and inspiration from various sources. Watching movies, reading books, going outside, learning about different coultures or history... that all can spark imagination in your head and feed your creativity. And the type of ideas and themes will also depend on type of things you watch/read. So let´s say you like sci-fi - you will probably watch a sci-fi movies and that will conjure those types of images in your mind.

- You have an idea, good =) I think it´s useful to have kind of a backstory for your piece. Like what is that character? A mage, warrior, lost girl...? What is he/she like? To what kind of world are we diving into with your piece? All those things will help you with coming up with props for your piece.

- When you have this questions answered, you go reference hunting! :D Look up things that are relevant to your topic - what armor would warrior in that era wear, what guns in your picture could look like, vehicle designs, architecture...anything you could use. But don´t forget to keep things relevant to your theme, medieval warrior wouldn´t have AK47... You know what I mean :D

- Learn to draw things you like and want to use in your image, combine them, come up with new designs when you have your visual library full of those things.

I guess those things apply to more elaborate pieces and designs and with simple images containing only one subject it is much easier... But the reference hunting and creating your own designs is the same, only the amount of work at that stage is different :D After some time of doing this, you won´t need that much references and you can go right into sketching because you already know how to draw what you want to draw =)

As I said in that topic I linked at the beginning, imagination is kind of a skill too, you need to excercise it, nurture it, feed it with various sources and it will grow =)

And ohmygooood, why is it so long :shock: I seem to be unable to write short relevant post to some topics :( I´m sorry for such a wall of text, I wanted to share my knowledge and ideas so maybe some of it will help you... if not, I´m even more sorry...
Hello. How are you? Have a nice Day. I'm socially awkward, sorry.
Sketchbook / Tumblr / deviantArt / Skype - if you'd like to chat: vixie.illustration

Postby azarga » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:34 pm

azarga

Vixie wrote:reference hunting!

Ugh.. I don't know how you people manage to find relevant references. I always fail, even though I was pretty good with heuristics at university.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby Vixie » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:22 pm

Vixie

azarga wrote:
Vixie wrote:reference hunting!

Ugh.. I don't know how you people manage to find relevant references. I always fail, even though I was pretty good with heuristics at university.

It largely depends on subject matter :D I don´t work on very hard projects lately because I´m trying to learn basics, so I don´t have much trouble finding references... It often depend on googling the right words or finding good books on that topic. And even then finding good references for some topics is haaard =/
Hello. How are you? Have a nice Day. I'm socially awkward, sorry.
Sketchbook / Tumblr / deviantArt / Skype - if you'd like to chat: vixie.illustration

Return to Mentorship, Art Trainers, and Study Buddies