This is where you can find, or volunteer to be, an art mentor, trainer, or mutual study buddy to help you push your art to the next level!

Postby BinaryClockwork » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:50 pm

BinaryClockwork

Subject title: looking for a mentor/ buddy

I'm a 17 year old highschool student from Finland, I drew alot back when I was a kid, but then I completely stopped for about 7years or so and now I've been drawing alot for the past half a year. I'm aiming to become a professional artist/ illustrator......or a clocksmith :D but it's not that serious cuz art is still just a hobby that I spend my whole waking time on. I'm atm doing only traditional art but I'll move into digital once I get myself a decent PC.
The reason I'd really need a mentor is because I'll try to get myself a highschool arts diploma in the fall.
I'm not 100% sure of what I'm going to do, but It'll have something to do with a fantasy forest and fairytale elements and It'll probably be a monochrome pencil/ ink drawing so coloring isn't that urgent of a thing. I'll also try my best to make it as realistic as possible so if you have experience at realism or if you are aiming to learn to draw realistic that'd help alot. :D
I'm still a beginner level artist but you can check out my sketchbook at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12671

My skype name is Matti Liipola
I might not always be on skype, actually I use it quite rarely nowadays but if I know that you're interested in studying art with me or you are willing to give some of your time to teach someone then I'll do my best. Even if I'm not online I almost always draw my whole waking time when I'm at home ( and sometimes at school). Also my english isn't perfect and my spoken english is way worse so it'd be best to keep it at messaging level :D tho I dont mind voice chat but I'll still try my best to avoid it.

Postby BinaryClockwork » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:43 pm

BinaryClockwork

I dunno about the realism part anymore. I recently watched the anime Sidonia No Kishi and instantly fell in love with the mangaka Tsutomu Nihei's artwork.
http://i4.minus.com/ivkUEBq3vr7X4.jpg
Quess I need to learn perspective first and then give a go at doing something like that.
Also I just realized that I can maybe push that diploma course one year forward.
but if anyone wants a scenery/bg/perspective studybuddy then I'm always available :D
Edit: I read that tsutomu nihei studied architecture and thats the reason behind his huge structures, if you are an architecture student and if you'd be willing to share your knowledge with me that would me greatly appreciated

Postby tiagoplaza » Mon May 04, 2015 5:36 pm

tiagoplaza

commented because this is the first time i've come across a fellow tsutomu nihei fan in these forums. i've always felt his works, especially pre-SnK (blame, noise, and biomega) were criminally underrated don't you think?

i'm also looking for a buddy to study perspective, and values to improve my composition. you can check out my sketchbook (link on the sig) and if you're interested my skype id is jmsnvjs.

Postby BinaryClockwork » Mon May 04, 2015 7:00 pm

BinaryClockwork

tiagoplaza wrote:commented because this is the first time i've come across a fellow tsutomu nihei fan in these forums. i've always felt his works, especially pre-SnK (blame, noise, and biomega) were criminally underrated don't you think?

i'm also looking for a buddy to study perspective, and values to improve my composition. you can check out my sketchbook (link on the sig) and if you're interested my skype id is jmsnvjs.

I wouldn't exactly call myself a Nihei fan for I just heard about him around 2 weeks ago. But his work is amazing, especially the backgrounds, perspective and huge structures, after wikipedia and image search it seems like all of his work is like that, not just sidonia no kishi. He seems to have extremely interesting settings and plot in his works too(especially Blame!'s description sounds really interesting). Also the feeling his work gives off, from image searching his manga and watching SNK, even though only the anime version, the viewer starts to feel like there really is nothing outside, just intense amounts of danger and empty space and that is something I haven't felt before in any anime or manga. There's something about his way of making extreme plot twists that I really like, for example killing a character when you least expect it.

I'm going to make a manga one day once I get a PC and learn to use it but until then I have to make do with pencil and paper. Hope that's not too big of an obstacle :D
At the moment I'm having a hard time figuring out female anatomy and how to draw it in perspective so it would be really nice to have somebody to ponder these things with. I'll try to be available as often as possible But it might be a bit hard for the next 3 weeks because of school and sht :D

Postby tiagoplaza » Tue May 05, 2015 3:12 pm

tiagoplaza

BinaryClockwork wrote:
tiagoplaza wrote:commented because this is the first time i've come across a fellow tsutomu nihei fan in these forums. i've always felt his works, especially pre-SnK (blame, noise, and biomega) were criminally underrated don't you think?

I wouldn't exactly call myself a Nihei fan for I just heard about him around 2 weeks ago. But his work is amazing, especially the backgrounds, perspective and huge structures, after wikipedia and image search it seems like all of his work is like that, not just sidonia no kishi. He seems to have extremely interesting settings and plot in his works too(especially Blame!'s description sounds really interesting). Also the feeling his work gives off, from image searching his manga and watching SNK, even though only the anime version, the viewer starts to feel like there really is nothing outside, just intense amounts of danger and empty space and that is something I haven't felt before in any anime or manga. There's something about his way of making extreme plot twists that I really like, for example killing a character when you least expect it.

I'm going to make a manga one day once I get a PC and learn to use it but until then I have to make do with pencil and paper. Hope that's not too big of an obstacle :D
At the moment I'm having a hard time figuring out female anatomy and how to draw it in perspective so it would be really nice to have somebody to ponder these things with. I'll try to be available as often as possible But it might be a bit hard for the next 3 weeks because of school and sht :D

haha sorry for being assumptive :oops: . yeah, there's always a sense of danger in his works and that's probably because of how good he is with composing scenes. one thing you'll also notice with his works is that he doesn't rely on overly long exposition to explain concepts and/or events. i remember there were lots of panels in biomega and blame that didn't have any dialogue but were still vital in the advancement of their respective stories (check out biomega chapter 0's last 3-4 pages to see what i'm talking about). the only thing that i would like him to improve really are his character designs since they all feel "too similar" across his works for my tastes.

i also wanted to be a mangaka once (coincidentally, this was after reading biomega in college) but now my interest has shifted to concept art. have you tried working on a name yet? if not then i'd suggest you read shinichi sakamoto's works (innocent and the climber) for inspiration. in my opinion he's the one of the most well-rounded mangaka nowadays in terms of character design, perspective, and composition. like nihei he also doesn't rely on too much narration/exposition to further his plot/story. unlike nihei he has a better grasp of anatomy which he showcases in almost every chapter.

here are some results from google image search.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzagl ... o1_500.png
http://m2.paperblog.com/i/260/2601690/d ... E4Zcm.jpeg

for pure awesomeness go to youtube and look for kim jung-gi live drawing demo videos. i guarantee that you'll be picking up your jaw from the floor after watching a couple of them :)

Postby BinaryClockwork » Wed May 06, 2015 3:44 pm

BinaryClockwork

Yeah, I read the first chapter of Blame! and over half of the whole chapter didn't have any dialogue in it. Also he really could improve on his characters, atleast in blame! he has some problems with facial structure and such. I didn't dare to read anymore to not spoil the upcoming anime version of it :D.

I have a lot of different ideas for manga, games and even animated series and I have made some early character designs a long time ago so that I kind of know what my main characters look like but I'm not really good at writing and naming them so they are most just work in progress project names.

I'm a bit busy with irl things now but on friday I could show you some of those ideas :D

Postby tiagoplaza » Fri May 08, 2015 4:58 am

tiagoplaza

BinaryClockwork wrote:Yeah, I read the first chapter of Blame! and over half of the whole chapter didn't have any dialogue in it. Also he really could improve on his characters, atleast in blame! he has some problems with facial structure and such. I didn't dare to read anymore to not spoil the upcoming anime version of it :D.

I have a lot of different ideas for manga, games and even animated series and I have made some early character designs a long time ago so that I kind of know what my main characters look like but I'm not really good at writing and naming them so they are most just work in progress project names.

I'm a bit busy with irl things now but on friday I could show you some of those ideas :D

apologies for the delayed reply man. also been busy with some WIPs and completing some challenges plus freelance (as a writer) work.

whoa?! really? didn't know that blame was getting an anime. when is it coming out?

anyway, i'd be more than happy to go over those ideas with you. :)

Return to Mentorship, Art Trainers, and Study Buddies