This is where you can find, or volunteer to be, an art mentor, trainer, or mutual study buddy to help you push your art to the next level!

Postby brendongoh » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:21 pm

brendongoh

Subject title: Looking for an art mentor

if sycra is a level 100 artist, i am a level 1. need a teacher who is at least a level 35 to level 50.
things i want to draw: concept art ( something like what u see when u click a champion in league of legends)
wings ( very hard for me )

my occupation: student in secondary school sitting for an art exam next year

current project: drawing related to the word VEGETATION
hopefully someone can help me research or teach me how to draw poses and head shapes, the project is my art exams project, i planned to go towards the idea of nature and show vegetation is rough or wild, by giving my first attempt of concept art.

what i planned to draw: an elven hunter with crossbows on a beast or animal
however, this art mentor must be able to help me daily, i am only left with 3 weeks till i have to hand in that piece of art, so meaning i have to learrn poses and stuff like face and eyes within 3 weeks.

my current skill level : cant even draw a head shape, a newbie in art, very bad creativity such that i copy other works rather than creating an original work ( unless u wanna like give a name to the character in the concept art, words always help me develop ideas)

any mentors intrested in helping me? even if i am bad in this, i am willing to put in the effort to become a better, maybe a level 50 in december? lol
pm me if u are intrested to help

Postby brendongoh » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:24 pm

brendongoh

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/ ... 5kxkjx.jpg
the hunter idea is inspired by sycra , i want to know how to draw the pose of the hunter in the picture

Postby brendongoh » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:17 am

brendongoh

Hello? Anyone?

Postby svarn » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:57 am

svarn

Um... I don't really know what to tell you to be honest ... This whole forum section is kind of weird in my opinion. And from what I've seen it's mostly posts of people that just registered on forums asking for mentors or "art friends", and then they are never to be seen again. And honestly there are barely any benefits to beeing a mentor, much less for someone that didn't even make any effort to join a community. And it sounds like it would take quite a lot of time and effort to mentor somebody.
this art mentor must be able to help me daily

And yeah ... I'm not sure if anybody will, with strong words like "must". It feels like taking a job, that doesn't pay anything.

On top of that, we don't really know what you can actually do, and what do you expect to be able to do, since you haven't even posted any of your art. Nor any reference to what your goal might be (you posted a piece of sycra's but I'm going to assume that you don't want to be like that in 3 weeks).
i am only left with 3 weeks till i have to hand in that piece of art, so meaning i have to learrn poses and stuff like face and eyes within 3 weeks.

And you mentioned that you can't even draw a face shape, so it kind of sounds like you expect to learn how to draw in 3 weeks, from nothing. And I'm not sure if that's really possible.

So I don't really know, how do you imagine this to work? I don't mind helping out, but it's not like I'm goin to sit down with you and tell you "how to draw in 10 steps", because that's just impossible.
So let me know what is it that you actually expect.
You could also just make a post in a critique section, where we can help you improve on your piece, but I don't know if that's goin to help you with passing an art exam.
Also who knows what kind of exam is it, because for some art exams people take art classes for a year and still fail, while with some other exams they just pass anybody as long as they pay tuition.

Postby z4m97 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:13 am

z4m97

okayy...so i might be the jerk here, but really buddy...ive been asked for mentorship twice, and yeh its difficult, the fist one we didnt actually went along that good in drawing styles, the second one we didnt get along with the schedule... but you are actually asking for a magician or something, i mean, teaching you how to draw poses, and faces, and vegetations, wings, colors, perspective, dynamism, gesture, form, anatomy, animals, feathers, wings, fur, texture... and A THOUSAND skills needed to recreate that picture...in three weeks... seriously?
i mean you might be one of those prodigy kids that master drawing at age 20... but come on! mastering one of those skills would take you at least (and on the very low hand assuming you DONT work on your project and ONLY work to develop that skill 24/7) like 3 months... maybe 1.5 if youre like DaVinci, Michellangelo, Donatello, Kim Yung Gi Sycra, Zhen Fu li, Sinix, Will Terrel, Joe Mad and Dick Giordano all mixed together...
buddy seriously, if youre going to take an art exam, PREPARE YOURSELF BEFOREHAND, its not like "ive never drawn before, ive no idea what im doing, but what the hell im going artsy today!!!" you need to train, nobody can teach you to do a 10% of what sycra does in three weeks... its just impossible, im not telling you that you cant draw, or that you wont pass the exam, its just that it takes longer and its way harder than what you think, its not just grabbing a pencil and start sketching, it takes time, you wanna draw poses? then start by gesture, and proportion, then anatomy, then balance, the mechanics of the body, perspective, construction drawing... and once you learnt some of these, you can start thinking about getting really to your goal...

if you want to do it fast, and you say you know how to copy, then go for it! take a reference of someone driving a horse or something, and draw it! then grab various references and keep going, you wont be getting closer at your goal, but you will pass the exam, after that let the teachers lead you throu the YEARS OF PRACTICE AND LEARNING REQUIRED TO ACHIEVE THE GOAL YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

also you look for someone to help you every day, its not worth the effort, that kind of mentorship is worth A LOT of money, and your whole attitude just makes me think that you posted this to save some money and get the art mentor...

Postby brendongoh » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:24 pm

brendongoh

svarn wrote:Um... I don't really know what to tell you to be honest ... This whole forum section is kind of weird in my opinion. And from what I've seen it's mostly posts of people that just registered on forums asking for mentors or "art friends", and then they are never to be seen again. And honestly there are barely any benefits to beeing a mentor, much less for someone that didn't even make any effort to join a community. And it sounds like it would take quite a lot of time and effort to mentor somebody.
this art mentor must be able to help me daily

And yeah ... I'm not sure if anybody will, with strong words like "must". It feels like taking a job, that doesn't pay anything.

On top of that, we don't really know what you can actually do, and what do you expect to be able to do, since you haven't even posted any of your art. Nor any reference to what your goal might be (you posted a piece of sycra's but I'm going to assume that you don't want to be like that in 3 weeks).
i am only left with 3 weeks till i have to hand in that piece of art, so meaning i have to learrn poses and stuff like face and eyes within 3 weeks.

And you mentioned that you can't even draw a face shape, so it kind of sounds like you expect to learn how to draw in 3 weeks, from nothing. And I'm not sure if that's really possible.

So I don't really know, how do you imagine this to work? I don't mind helping out, but it's not like I'm goin to sit down with you and tell you "how to draw in 10 steps", because that's just impossible.
So let me know what is it that you actually expect.
You could also just make a post in a critique section, where we can help you improve on your piece, but I don't know if that's goin to help you with passing an art exam.
Also who knows what kind of exam is it, because for some art exams people take art classes for a year and still fail, while with some other exams they just pass anybody as long as they pay tuition.

Sorry, maybe i am exegeratting a little, must as in try to, not legitimately helping me, but make an effort if u feel like it, when i say art classes, i mean like in school

Postby brendongoh » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:28 pm

brendongoh

z4m97 wrote:okayy...so i might be the jerk here, but really buddy...ive been asked for mentorship twice, and yeh its difficult, the fist one we didnt actually went along that good in drawing styles, the second one we didnt get along with the schedule... but you are actually asking for a magician or something, i mean, teaching you how to draw poses, and faces, and vegetations, wings, colors, perspective, dynamism, gesture, form, anatomy, animals, feathers, wings, fur, texture... and A THOUSAND skills needed to recreate that picture...in three weeks... seriously?
i mean you might be one of those prodigy kids that master drawing at age 20... but come on! mastering one of those skills would take you at least (and on the very low hand assuming you DONT work on your project and ONLY work to develop that skill 24/7) like 3 months... maybe 1.5 if youre like DaVinci, Michellangelo, Donatello, Kim Yung Gi Sycra, Zhen Fu li, Sinix, Will Terrel, Joe Mad and Dick Giordano all mixed together...
buddy seriously, if youre going to take an art exam, PREPARE YOURSELF BEFOREHAND, its not like "ive never drawn before, ive no idea what im doing, but what the hell im going artsy today!!!" you need to train, nobody can teach you to do a 10% of what sycra does in three weeks... its just impossible, im not telling you that you cant draw, or that you wont pass the exam, its just that it takes longer and its way harder than what you think, its not just grabbing a pencil and start sketching, it takes time, you wanna draw poses? then start by gesture, and proportion, then anatomy, then balance, the mechanics of the body, perspective, construction drawing... and once you learnt some of these, you can start thinking about getting really to your goal...

if you want to do it fast, and you say you know how to copy, then go for it! take a reference of someone driving a horse or something, and draw it! then grab various references and keep going, you wont be getting closer at your goal, but you will pass the exam, after that let the teachers lead you throu the YEARS OF PRACTICE AND LEARNING REQUIRED TO ACHIEVE THE GOAL YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

also you look for someone to help you every day, its not worth the effort, that kind of mentorship is worth A LOT of money, and your whole attitude just makes me think that you posted this to save some money and get the art mentor...

Lol,i never said all skills in three weeks, even a monkey will know that is not possible, i am now currently just learning poses and stuff, vegetation is a theme to keep in mind , i am not learning how to draw however relating it to the art piece, the wings and stuff i will talk about it once this 3 weeks are over :) hopefully u are willing to help me, any time schedule is ok, i dont mind, as long as u are putting in effort and trying your best to assist me in my journey, i am honored :)

Postby z4m97 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:50 pm

z4m97

brendongoh wrote:
z4m97 wrote:okayy...so i might be the jerk here, but really buddy...ive been asked for mentorship twice, and yeh its difficult, the fist one we didnt actually went along that good in drawing styles, the second one we didnt get along with the schedule... but you are actually asking for a magician or something, i mean, teaching you how to draw poses, and faces, and vegetations, wings, colors, perspective, dynamism, gesture, form, anatomy, animals, feathers, wings, fur, texture... and A THOUSAND skills needed to recreate that picture...in three weeks... seriously?

Lol,i never said all skills in three weeks, even a monkey will know that is not possible, i am now currently just learning poses and stuff, vegetation is a theme to keep in mind , i am not learning how to draw however relating it to the art piece, the wings and stuff i will talk about it once this 3 weeks are over :) hopefully u are willing to help me, any time schedule is ok, i dont mind, as long as u are putting in effort and trying your best to assist me in my journey, i am honored :)

i am willing to, but i have a job and i cant be doing it every single day... sorry to be a jerk its just that the whole thing of learning in three weeks blew my head off D:

Postby brendongoh » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:49 am

brendongoh

z4m97 wrote:
brendongoh wrote:

i am willing to, but i have a job and i cant be doing it every single day... sorry to be a jerk its just that the whole thing of learning in three weeks blew my head off D:

Lol, it was my fault for not explaining clearly, but i like people to help me, not like everyday but willing to help me improve :D

Return to Mentorship, Art Trainers, and Study Buddies