This is where you can find, or volunteer to be, an art mentor, trainer, or mutual study buddy to help you push your art to the next level!

Postby Technician » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:51 pm

Technician

Subject title: Professionals here?

I would like to try to become professional. By that I mean doing commissions (for private people and for companies), but I do not mean being an employee.
For that I would like to create a really good portfolio, while learning.

It would be great if a person, who already achieved that, could mentor me on the way.

Postby Technician » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:54 pm

Technician

Are there no professionals here? I would so much like to start with the first day of the new year to work on it.

Postby svarn » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:07 pm

svarn

It's not that there are no professionals around (ignoring in how many ways word "professional" can be interpreted).
It's just that for all the years that I've been on the forums, I never saw anyone offer to mentor someone.
As appealing as the idea of beeing mentored is, beeing a mentor is very time consuming. On top of that you can be a great artist and a really poor teacher. Since ablility to teach and explain things is a separate skill from art.
It's quite a lot to ask from a complete stranger, especially for free. Not to mention that we don't even know at what stage in art are you yourself.
So unfortunately I'm afraid that it's quite unlikely that you'll find anyone, especially before new years.

Postby fi_le » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:19 am

fi_le

svarn wrote:It's not that there are no professionals around (ignoring in how many ways word "professional" can be interpreted).
It's just that for all the years that I've been on the forums, I never saw anyone offer to mentor someone.
As appealing as the idea of beeing mentored is, beeing a mentor is very time consuming. On top of that you can be a great artist and a really poor teacher. Since ablility to teach and explain things is a separate skill from art.
It's quite a lot to ask from a complete stranger, especially for free. Not to mention that we don't even know at what stage in art are you yourself.
So unfortunately I'm afraid that it's quite unlikely that you'll find anyone, especially before new years.

The truth, the honest truth and nothing but the truth. I never understood why this thread even has mentorship in its name, it does not occur to me how in the world someone would be willing and able to volunteer as a mentor.
That it is intended to work that way is very clear though, since it's in Sycra's original statements on the idea, taken from the "New Here? Read this first!" post from 2013:

"So, I often get asked if I could help with mentoring people... And unfortunately, right now, the answer is no, because I just don't have the time. I've had to drop all my private students as well... BUT! I think it's possible for other people with time to volunteer to be a mentor or an art trainer [...].

[...]

One more thing... I would like to keep this a purely voluntary service. If you charge for your services... Well, I suppose that's okay, but make it clear what your rates are. Ideally, this will be a purely voluntary activity spurred on by the desire to help the art community LEVEL UP!"

A complete riddle to me!
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Return to Mentorship, Art Trainers, and Study Buddies