This is where you can find, or volunteer to be, an art mentor, trainer, or mutual study buddy to help you push your art to the next level!

Postby Wasabi » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:47 pm

Wasabi

Subject title: Creating a small discord community of friends/study buddies

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site.

I am a 22yo girl that has dabbled in drawing and photoshop in high school and since then I have not improved due to depression and other issues. I'm currently in therapy, on meds, and trying to improve my life, myself, and my art skills. It's hard. A struggle.

So I'm creating an art discord group and here's what I'm looking for:

Up to 19 people
Ages 19-29
Beginners to moderately skilled
Be comfortable to, at least one day in the future, to voice chat
Very serious about drawing daily, every other day, or at least 2-3x a week
LGBT+ friendly (I am trans)

So let me explain these requirements a bit. Up to 19 people because I want this to be a close-knit community were each and every one of us can grab each others attention 100%. Whereas in large communities I find it creates distractions. Ages 19-29 because I'm 22 and I want everyone to be sort of the same age to promote collaboration, but also the age range also provides differing tastes and perspectives on art and life. We're trying to be friends, not just art buddies. I also want us to utilize the text and voice chat features not just for art but also to become friends. I want all of us to contribute at least twice a week. If you don't then what's the point of being in an art group right? LGBT+ friendly because I myself am a (trans)woman and I want all of us to be accepting of each other whether gay, lesbian, cismale, transmale, non-binary, or whatever else there is. I feel like this is all self-explanatory, but I simply wanted to be thorough so there's no confusion.

Currently, I just started practicing from drawabox and I am focusing on realism and anatomical drawings, with the occasional pokemon drawings. From there I'll branch out into other studies, styles, and mediums. I definitely want to get to paintings, color, and digital drawings eventually. I also want to touch on animation later.

I will check back in 24-96 hours inviting everyone who replies to this thread. Please introduce yourself and tell me a bit about you. Thanks!

Postby Inkey » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:50 am

Inkey

First and foremost, hi and welcome to the forums!

Struggles of being a better person and an artist is something I can relate with. While it's all a part of the process, it is difficult and I want you to know you're not alone on this journey.

I'm also trying to get a discord community running. If you would be interested, perhaps we could combine our community or do collaborative works across the groups. Just an idea, nothing concrete!

If not, I'm always down to make new friends. :)
You can hit me up at Yummy Yoogi #2516

Things can only get better from here on.
Wishing you good vibrations!
A drawing a day keeps the evil demons at bay.
[Sketchbook] [Tumblr sketchbook] [Instagram]

Postby novocain » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:37 pm

novocain

I’m trans 2 and I wanna join an art group so uhhhhhh
Zombies? In MY mansion? It's more likely than you think.

Postby emiliemakani » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:56 am

emiliemakani

Hello! My name is Emilie and I would love to join! I'm 19, and I primarily do digital art but have lately been exploring traditional media like watercolor and gouache. My main goal though is to practice more of my foundation skills, because self teaching myself drawing over the years has left me with some fairly large gaps in my basic skills, like perspective, shape, and value. I feel like I have an okay-ish grasp on anatomy, so I might be able to give some tips for that as well!

I really want to focus on practicing as much as possible, and being accountable to other artists would help a lot, and I'd love to make friends with other artists in general too! I'm wlw myself, so LGBT+ friendliness won't be an issue (I'm not a terf or anything like that!!) Also, I have no issues with voice chat, and think it would be fun to do little art sessions where we talk and draw together :)

Even if for some reason you aren't doing the server, I hope to hear from you because it sounds like our interests align very well and we could be good art buddies and probably friends! My discord is Emilie#0015

Postby nyliramrae » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:57 pm

nyliramrae

Hi is this discord sill going? I'm really interested in joining a small group to help motivate me to draw so that I can improve.

I really relate to depression sometimes sucking your want to improve and better. Also it's nice to know that it would be LGBT friendly as I'm bi and I'm definitely in need of more LGBT friends.

My name is Marilyn and I'm 24. My discord is nyliramrae#3318. Looking forward to hearing from you! :3

Postby Blue » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:26 am

Blue

Hi all, I believe in God I believe in Jesus Christ as messiah and Son of God.

Just wanted to clear that first xD I hope You dont have any neglectin towards me couse I have none towards You.
The reason I want to join discord is not because I want to preach my faith, I too need people who want to draw, learn how to "relax" in drawing be playfull in drawing etc.
From my expirience my talent break through when am surrounded with people who are also drawing things. Anyway if I passed on Your criteria xD.., link me up discord in private message. My discord : Blow#5196

Thanks

Postby snineko » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:11 pm

snineko

Hello! This is a great idea. I'm asexual (less recognized in the lgbtqia+ community lol) and I love the idea of creating a close knit art community where we can help each other grow through critiques and collabs! I'm a second year in university studying comp sci. My discord username is fruitpunchsamurai#6842. Looking forward to joining the community!

Return to Mentorship, Art Trainers, and Study Buddies